You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pasted images change hue based on the primary color using the color picker

I ran into a possible bug or there is some behavior in Affinity Photo that I don't understand. It seems that whenever I use the color picker on a photo that was pasted from a screen shot, that photo's hue will change based on the color sampled. The behavior does not happen with a photo that I open within the software, and no hue change is applied when the primary color in the color palette is changed.

The steps I followed:

1. Open a new project. I chose XGA 1024x768.
  2. Copy a screen shot of an image.
  3. Paste the image into the artboard.
  4. Select the color picker tool and then sample a color from the image.
  5. Observe that the image will change hue based on the color sampled.

Video illustrating the behavior.

Software version: 1.8.3.641
OS version: 1903
OS build 18362.836

That's a combination of deliberate features of the software.

One is the Colour Picker Tool's option to immediately apply the picked colour to the currently selected object, and you have it enabled in the context toolbar.

Another is that an Image object, unlike a Pixel object, will be non-destructively recoloured if a colour is applied to it.

And another is that opening an image file creates a new document containing a Pixel object, whereas placing an image file or pasting a screenshot into an already open document adds an Image object to the current document.