You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Understanding The License For PC and Mac

Hello, 

So, I want to confirm, if you have two PCs that you work from, you are able to install the PC version on both with a single purchase?

Also, I assume, if you have a Mac, and you purchase a Mac version, you can work between the PC and mac versions of the files, owning both versions, correct?

• Staff

Hi Kevin,
Yes, as long as you are the only one using the software for commercial purposes, own both machines and both run the same OS. Affinity files are cross platform - you can work/exachange them between Mac and PC's without issues. Here's the Affinity License Agreement.

Note: if you are working with a Mac and a Windows computer you must buy one license for each OS (so two licenses).

Meb, I'm a private individual with 2 computers, a macbook air and a windows pc. Can I use my macbook and pc with windows

on both of them? Currently Affinity is installed in the Mac. If possible, how would I go about getting a copy for my Windows 10 version?

Thanks so much.

47 minutes ago, Knarf said:

I'm a private individual with 2 computers, a macbook air and a windows pc. Can I use my macbook and pc with windows

on both of them? Currently Affinity is installed in the Mac. If possible, how would I go about getting a copy for my Windows 10 version?

Thanks so much.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The licenses are specific to the OS platform, so if you're purhased for MacOS your license covers only MacOS. If you also want to use the program on Windows you need to purchase another license, for the Windows platform.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi and welcome to the forums,

Sadly you would need two licences, Mac OS and Windows OS.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...

I am thinking of switching from Mac in future, so my software purchases are geared around that. Affinity would be a no-brainer as Pixelmator I currently use is Mac only. 

But the per OS thing makes me pause from purchashing Affinity Photo.

I can understand that Apple Store purchases could be problematic, but purchases from your site should be easily switchable? Asking users to rebuy the same software is a bit cheap -  especially when your biggest rivals - Adobe allow platform switching at no extra cost.

Edited by fingertrouble
added Adobe

3 hours ago, fingertrouble said:

I can understand that Apple Store purchases could be problematic, but purchases from your site should be easily switchable? Asking users to rebuy the same software is a bit cheap -  especially when your biggest rivals - Adobe allow platform switching at no extra cost.

As I understand it:

1. If they were to allow switching when users purchase from the Affinity Store, the users who purchased from the Mac App Store or from the Microsoft Store would be upset. Not allowing anyone to switch is more fair to everyone.
  2. They do have ongoing development and maintenance costs for each version (Mac, Windows, iPad). If they allow users to switch from one to the other they are incurring additional maintenance costs but not getting additional development revenue. Serif is a small company, in comparison to Adobe. Perhaps Adobe can afford to absorb the loss better than Serif. Note, too, that you will be paying Adobe forever, and you are paying Serif only once per platform for all of version 1. The constant revenue stream also makes it easier for Adobe to allow "free" switching between platforms.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

This is really good to know. I have four PCs on my home network and I sometimes use different ones at different times of the year (especially in Summer, when one end of the house is hot as anything). After several months of using both Photo and Designer I'm finally ready to remove my old Student CS4 and CS6 installs.  There's only me using any of these PCs and I seldom do commercial work, but the utility of using  any PC I want with the apps is great.

Finally free of Adobe, yay!