You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Forum :: upload error -200

113807370_forumimageuploaderror-200Kopie.jpg.51b8380aa5a217c5e8793de0632d7f7c.jpg

Is there any workaround I can do when the error -200 occurs with an image upload?

Its occurrence feels like stop&go and also does not occur in the entire forum. For instance here, in this post, I would be able to load a screenshot which results in an error in APub mac bugs. Also it appears not top be related to the size (as I thought before) – but to what?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I never had this warning even though sometimes it is impossible to attach an image by the normal method. In this case I "pull" this image directly from the explorer (Windows) and put it in my reply on the forum.

Hm. To me on mac dragging a file is even more often an problem than the -200 error. It then results in an uncompleted upload and a unusable 'file' below this text area, especially for video files (mp4, mv4, mov). Whereas dragging video worked well before a forums software update some weeks ago.

Yes, these problems have been around for a while now, intermittently. Hopefully a future update of the forum software will solve the problem, but I'm afraid we'll have to wait a long time as these updates are rare!

No, quite unlikely.
My only screenshot tool is macOS (Cmd-4), the file type is JPG.
Sometimes I draw markers on the screenshots with macOS preview.app, usually without any complaint. They just get saved as JPGs again. – I never had uploaded GIFs yet (neither static nor animated), and never used ImageMagick.

Yesterday I tried a screenshot JPG at first with 220 px, than taken some larger and then the first again but upscaled to 440 px at its shorter edge (22 – 53 kB). It also was strange that I was able to upload the -200 screenshot (488 x 166 px), though in a different forum.

So, this info from your link...

That error typically happens when a rather large animated gif is uploaded, using ImageMagick, and ImageMagick (or the PHP process it was launched from) hits a time or memory limit.

... is probably only a partially info for error "-200".

This message occurred to me its first times with quite small screenshots (e.g. a button of the toolbar or a line of text from the prefs window). May be coincidence; meanwhile it appears not to be related to pixel size at all. – The error -200 started occurring more often quite directly after a forums update (we got informed because of a related break for some hours).

Now I just tried to add a yesterday failing screenshot to my post, again it failed. So I attach all 3 trial versions from yesterday in the attached zip.
I wonder why I can upload this new screenshot, just taken from this post when the other upload failed. Note it doesn't show the garbage bin as uploaded resources do, and therefore can't be deleted by the user. Often with such a file below my post also it fails when I hit "Submit Reply", instead it seems to hang. To solve it (=make it disappear) I often need to reload the page.

screenshot uploads cause error -200.zip

67124860_forumuploadfailedicon.jpg.f99bcc644fba7e9e95ba3b78f92866e9.jpg

@Patrick Connor, just in case: After not getting the upload -200 error for a few days it was back today for all those screenshot JPG which I had edited in the macOS app "Preview".

Then it did prevent the error each time when running the app "ImageOptim" for these JPGs after edit, and the files uploaded successfully.
(Note: Before today this workaround did neither work this sufficient nor was it necessary for such edited JPGs)

In the attached .zip two sample JPGs (before/after ImageOptim).

jpg with&without -200 error.zip