You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add menubar top margin

The menubar is placed at the very top of the application window, at least on the Windows system. When the window is in full-screen mode, there is no place to activate the window at the top edge of the screen without also opening a menu. Visual Studio 2019 moved to the same window layout but took extra care about this. The menus won't open when clicking in the top few pixels of the window/screen. This allows for easy activation of the full-screen window in the background of other windows.

Could you please fix the Affinity menubar so that it also leaves a bit space at the top to activate the window?

6 hours ago, ygoe said:

The menubar is placed at the very top of the application window, at least on the Windows system. When the window is in full-screen mode, there is no place to activate the window at the top edge of the screen without also opening a menu. Visual Studio 2019 moved to the same window layout but took extra care about this. The menus won't open when clicking in the top few pixels of the window/screen. This allows for easy activation of the full-screen window in the background of other windows.

Could you please fix the Affinity menubar so that it also leaves a bit space at the top to activate the window?

Hi @ygoe,

an interesting request because I never noticed this as a problem. Maybe because I tend to switch between applications via the taskbar icons or via ALT+TAB. The menubar has a lot of blank space on the right side that does not open a menu. What also works is to click on the right half of the Affinity icon (top left) that opens the so called 'system menu'.

Would this work for you as long as your request is not implemented?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Yes, Alt+Tab and the taskbar icon are options as well. But since Affinity is a very visual application, I tend to use the mouse to operate it. And no other application (no decent one) messes with the window title bar in this way, so I can activate a full-screen window in the background practically everywhere by pushing the cursor to the top screen edge and clicking. Anywhere, not just somewhere in the right part or other small areas that I certainly won't target for a quick window switch. Not here.

I wouldn't need the 7 pixels space like in Visual Studio but 1 or 2 pixels would already be very helpful here.

13 hours ago, ygoe said:

so I can activate a full-screen window in the background practically everywhere by pushing the cursor to the top screen edge and clicking. Anywhere, not just somewhere in the right part or other small areas that I certainly won't target for a quick window switch.

Well, there is nothing wrong asking for this. I just wanted to make sure that you are aware that it works in part of this area 🙂

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 3 months later...

Another app where I noticed this extra care is Active Presenter. It has a ribbon bar with tab buttons reaching to the very top of the window, except for the first row of pixels. I can push the mouse to the top of the screen and activate that window in full-screen mode without disturbing side effects.