You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8.3 place XLSX not populating table?

I just tried placing an XLSX file (created in LibreOffice Calc 6.3.6.2) in Publisher 1.8.3.641.  A table with the appropriate number of rows and columns was created, but all cells were empty (not white text on white background, but actually empty) and the table frame/border/boundaries were all set to no-stroke.   On the other hand, when I try to place an XLSX file with colored cell backgrounds, it creates a table with appropriate cell colors.  The files open just fine in Microsoft Excel 2013, showing the expected cell contents.   Windows 10 Enterprise version 1809, 64-bit.

So I'm a bit mystified by what I might need to do (besides File > Place..., select the file, and click on the page) to get the data to actually populate the newly created table.  Presumably this works for others?

Temporarily, I am copying the data from the XLSX file and pasting it into a Publisher table.

Here are some files to reproduce the problem.  Original XLSX file created in LibreOffice.  Then opened that file in Excel and simply saved it with a new name.  Then an AffPub document where I placed each of the XLSX files.  I did add a stroke color to the table boundaries, otherwise you'd not be able to see the table generated when placing the LibreOffice file.

sample-created-in-libreoffice.xlsx
sample-resaved-from-excel.xlsx
xlsx-placement.afpub

I played around with this a bit more and noted two more things.

AffPub Place's Open file dialog does show the sheet contents for the XLSX file created in LibreOffice.  Not sure if that's being done by a MS file utility or AffPub.

Opening the file created by MS Excel (which places fine in AffPub) in LibreOffice Calc and resaving it as a new file.  The new file has the same issues as the file originally created in LibreOffice Calc.

So, at the moment there seems to be a compatibility problem between Affinity Publisher and LibreOffice Calc with respect to placing XLSX files.  Whether the responsibilithy is with AffPub or LOCalc, I cannot say.  But at the very least, there seem to be some corner cases in what's generally accepted as a valid XLSX file (by MSExcel, if nothing else) which are not handled by AffPub on Windows.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi sfriedberg,

I've just got this logged with the Dev team.  I suspect it has something to do with the equations, while we won't bring those in we should at least be bringing in the resulting values.  I've left a link in the report to this thread, so any movement on it, i can update here :)