You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please include Serif Raw Engine in iPad version

Not being able to use most of my raw files from Fuji cameras is frustrating. And waiting for Apple to add such support is even more so. Plus that there are functions exclusively available with Serif engine. And apparently it's possible since Lightroom and Photoshop on iPad do support all the unsupported lossless compressed raws from Fuji cameras.

1 hour ago, ErrkaPetti said:

I don’t get it?

Affinity Photo for iPad is supporting 35 different Fuji cameras to load into the RAW import area...

Is your Fuji camera supernew with a new RAW format from that camera?

Uncompressed raw only for most cameras introduced in the past 5 years. But every sane person use lossless compressed raw for obvious reasons. The same issue had been there ever since Apple started supporting raw natively but never addressed.

30 minutes ago, jnrfalcon said:

Uncompressed raw only for most cameras introduced in the past 5 years. But every sane person use lossless compressed raw for obvious reasons. The same issue had been there ever since Apple started supporting raw natively but never addressed.

Exactly. Compressed Fuji RAW is still not supported directly on iPadOS and Affinity clearly uses Apple's RAW support directly. Lightroom and Photoshop can import them with their own systems but there is a big drawback: Even then, you can't see a preview of the compressed RAW files when you are selecting them for import. You just see a black square with "RAW" on it so you don't know what you're importing. 

For the time being I've given up on this and switched to uncompressed RAW so that I can process the files on the iPad. But that still doesn't solve the problem of all my existing compressed RAW files. I still don't know if I'm going to feel able to put up with this and all the other many annoyances and restrictions imposed by the iPad platform and Affinity's iPad version. The "year of the iPad as a serious computer" is the new "year of Linux on the desktop". It's always just around the corner, but as soon as you round the corner there's another corner.

Affinity on the iPad is an astoundingly good application in many ways -- I wouldn't be spending any time at all on it otherwise. But in possibly too many ways it feels like trying to swim in a snow suit or shell peas wearing boxing gloves. 

I just installed it on the iPad only then to discover, that compressed RAW is not supported.

From the website:

"Affinity Photo for iPad is a genuine desktop-grade, professional photo editing app. Completely reimagined for iPad with the same power as the desktop version and with complete file format compatibility, you can work across the same document wherever you are, without any compromise."

I was also searching the site for the string "compressed" and did not find it. I think the info on the website should be corrected.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, RobLW said:

Yes please.

though I think it’s going to be an insane amount of work to get something like this working and passed App Store rules which is why they just use iOS raw support.

Yes it’s a shame though as the app isn’t usable for my canon files and which means that I have ended up using another app or processing on my PC

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...

that’s why I’m not seeing my RAWs show up? so this is on Serif?

All this time I was thinking it was Apple’s fault. 

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt

9 minutes ago, Affinity iPad Student said:

All this time I was thinking it was Apple’s fault.

Why do you now believe you were wrong to think that? :/

On 5/21/2020 at 7:13 AM, Eftaliotis said:

Compressed Fuji RAW is still not supported directly on iPadOS and Affinity clearly uses Apple's RAW support directly.

And from Apple’s own support page about Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13, and macOS Catalina:

1. RAW processing on iOS or iPadOS with third-party apps is available on iPhone 6 or later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad mini 4 or later, iPad Air 2 or later, and iPod touch (6th generation) or later.

2. Canon RAW format only

3. Uncompressed RAW format only

4. Nikon RAW L format only

5. Excluding RAW images taken using High Res Shot

6. Single shot RAW format only

7. Lossless RAW format only

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 5/19/2020 at 6:09 PM, jnrfalcon said:

Not being able to use most of my raw files from Fuji cameras is frustrating. And waiting for Apple to add such support is even more so. Plus that there are functions exclusively available with Serif engine. And apparently it's possible since Lightroom and Photoshop on iPad do support all the unsupported lossless compressed raws from Fuji cameras.

@Alfred Because of the above statement I bolded and underlined. If they can do it, why can’t AP 🤯

Specs:

8 hours ago, Affinity iPad Student said:

@Alfred Because of the above statement I bolded and underlined. If they can do it, why can’t AP 🤯

I get that, but it doesn’t detract from the fact that Adobe having to do it themselves is “Apple’s fault”!

3. Uncompressed RAW format only

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 8/9/2020 at 2:49 AM, Alfred said:

I get that, but it doesn’t detract from the fact that Adobe having to do it themselves is “Apple’s fault”!

You’re correct! It is Apple’s fault. By making it difficult and forcing devs into a roundabout way of doing things on iOS. 

I get what you saying Alfred... I DID use poor wording in my comment. Not Serifs fault from that aspect.

However, Serif can update AP and add the feature, since the round about way - does exist, all I was saying is that.. this part is Serifs fault for not making it happen.

Specs: