Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am a graphic design professional now retired but still doing side work for a few clients. I dropped Adobe products because I could no longer afford them. This was my first job working with affinity publisher (a 27-page document). I imported an idml file into AP and all went well UNTIL I tried to create a final PDF for my client. Regardless of the kind of PDF conversion I selected, all either had massive type issues (strange letters, missing letters, incomplete letters) and color bars with overlaid type that turned the color bars into color with "ghost shadows/images" of the overlaid type (see the attached images of a clean JPEG versus the best PDF).

Regardless of the AP PDF setting I chose, some form of corruption resulted. I finally just exported the job as JPEG pages, then created a PDF using Acrobat. The first PDF was over 250mb which is much to large for my client to use. I got a usable file by saving the PDF as a Compressed PDF. This turned out to be only 4mb which is what my client needed.

When I was using Adobe IND all images were clean and small in size as they should be. It is only when I used AF that the whole process ended with a slightly dirty final PDF. What did I do wrong, or what could I have done to get a small clean PDF? 

Sample.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you be able to provide a screenshot of the original PDF you exported showing the errors, so I know what I'm looking for. Also provide a download link for your Affinity file, if you don't want it to be publicly available, send it me in a PM so I can take a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lee D — Thanks for getting back to me, However, my post was over a month ago, and in that time I finally came up with my own PDF Preset in Affinity Publisher that finally turned out the way I needed. My biggest issue was that the final PDF had to be small enough to email (standard email) and still be a high enough resolution to render a very good print final. My ultimate solution was so simple it was staring me in the face!—I simply had to choose "PDF (for Print) > More > Then remove all of the downsampling, JPEG compression, and uncheck "include Layers". I have attached the final PDF in the new PDF Preset settings I created through these adjustments.

WintersWilden_Brochure_MAY_2020-4AF.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.