You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF massive issues with color blocks and type

I am a graphic design professional now retired but still doing side work for a few clients. I dropped Adobe products because I could no longer afford them. This was my first job working with affinity publisher (a 27-page document). I imported an idml file into AP and all went well UNTIL I tried to create a final PDF for my client. Regardless of the kind of PDF conversion I selected, all either had massive type issues (strange letters, missing letters, incomplete letters) and color bars with overlaid type that turned the color bars into color with "ghost shadows/images" of the overlaid type (see the attached images of a clean JPEG versus the best PDF).

Regardless of the AP PDF setting I chose, some form of corruption resulted. I finally just exported the job as JPEG pages, then created a PDF using Acrobat. The first PDF was over 250mb which is much to large for my client to use. I got a usable file by saving the PDF as a Compressed PDF. This turned out to be only 4mb which is what my client needed.

When I was using Adobe IND all images were clean and small in size as they should be. It is only when I used AF that the whole process ended with a slightly dirty final PDF. What did I do wrong, or what could I have done to get a small clean PDF? 

Sample.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Would you be able to provide a screenshot of the original PDF you exported showing the errors, so I know what I'm looking for. Also provide a download link for your Affinity file, if you don't want it to be publicly available, send it me in a PM so I can take a look.

Lee D — Thanks for getting back to me, However, my post was over a month ago, and in that time I finally came up with my own PDF Preset in Affinity Publisher that finally turned out the way I needed. My biggest issue was that the final PDF had to be small enough to email (standard email) and still be a high enough resolution to render a very good print final. My ultimate solution was so simple it was staring me in the face!—I simply had to choose "PDF (for Print) > More > Then remove all of the downsampling, JPEG compression, and uncheck "include Layers". I have attached the final PDF in the new PDF Preset settings I created through these adjustments.

WintersWilden_Brochure_MAY_2020-4AF.pdf