You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Delay on display of Layer Thumbnails

I always seem to come across this issue, there is a substantial delay to display the layer thumbnails. Is there something I can do or adjust on my Mac to remedy this? Just wondering if really high performing computers experience this delay.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 1.23.36 PM.png

This is something I experience quite often. It seems to happen when there is 'heavy' graphic content in the file, as in lots of layers with complex layers or lots of effects added to layers. I'm running with 16Gb of RAM but still see the same thing from time to time.

I've also experienced the situation where complete layers vanish from the layers panel leaving a blank space between layers. These can sometimes be recovered by colapsing the group and opening it again, so it very much sounds like a screen re-draw issue possibly combined with a memory issue.

Maybe someone from the support team can provide more detail as to why this may be happening. It doesn't impact the file itself but obviously just leaves you with no instant thumbnails updates.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

User Jaffa reported this last summer:

I commented there that I too have this happen at times in v1.7. Though it never happened to me in v1.6.
I still have it at times in v1.8 But as yet I have found no consistent set of circumstances or steps that always make it happen. I know, not what any developer wants to hear!

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed this thread had come up.  I really don't seem to have the problem now.  Not too long ago, I upgraded my tower to an Intel i7 9th Generation chip (8 core and 8 threads), with 16 Gig of DDR4 RAM and kept my older graphics card.  The i7 chip has a lot of graphics capability, even on its own.  So, my guess is that it needs a lot of 'oomph' to get and keep the thumbnails in the Layers Panel.   Before that my older AMD 6 core chip, even though very fit for all other software uses, did struggle to keep up with my demands on it when using Affinity Photo - I registered 100% usage at times.  I use layers in virtually everything I do, etc. 

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

• 1 year later...

Good Morning @MEB

This  can happen when either opening a jpg in Photo persona or when developing a RAW and then moving to Photo Persona. It happens with basic files and with those with one or two layers.  If I have used a live filter layer, say High Pass, the screen does not change to grey.Sometimes it does not happen at all but more frequently I open a layer, thumbnail is black and it either stays black  or turns white after a few seconds or a few minutes. When the thumbnail is black the histogram is not visible in the adjustment box but I can still make an adjustment. This also happened prior to upgrading to Montery

My Mac specs are

Monterey version 12.0.1

32 GB RAM

3.5 GHz Quad core Intel core i5