You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Adobe Bridge to open Affinity Photo

According to the latest newsletter from Robin at Lenscraft, Affinity Photo can now be accessed/  opened from Adobe Bridge. You simply right click an image, select the command 'open with' and Affinity photo should appear as an option alongside other editing programmes.

Adobe Bridge is free which I downloaded but couldn't access Affinity Photo as described above.

Can anybody shed any light on whether Adobe Bridge and Affinity Photo are compatible?

45 minutes ago, Herbill said:

You simply right click an image, select the command 'open with' and Affinity photo should appear as an option alongside other editing programmes.

Speaking of Adobe Bridge CS6 which I have installed I don't need to right-click an image to open it in AP. Have a look at preferences. You can assign file types to their applications. After assigning to AP you can open the files from Bridge with double-click.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, Herbill said:

According to the latest newsletter from Robin at Lenscraft, Affinity Photo can now be accessed/  opened from Adobe Bridge. You simply right click an image, select the command 'open with' and Affinity photo should appear as an option alongside other editing programmes.

Adobe Bridge is free which I downloaded but couldn't access Affinity Photo as described above.

Did you purchase Photo from Serif, or from Microsoft? The apps from the Microsoft Store are sandboxed by Microsoft, and require additional work to make them usable from other programs (or, may not be usable from other programs at all).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@Herbill

Can anybody shed any light on whether Adobe Bridge and Affinity Photo are compatible?

I can confirm that right-clicking an image in Bridge opens a menu that does include an option that says "Open with>Affinity Photo 1.8 (default)".  I did not set this anywhere; Bridge seems to have taken this as the default, presumably because I have set Affinity Photo to be the default app for .jpg images, which the image is that I tested this with.

Just to emphasise what @walt.farrell wrote, I use the version of the app downloaded from Serif, not the app store.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Thanks to all for replying. I have been away from my computer hence my late response.

I downloaded Adobe bridge yesterday but when I right click an image in the main window of Adobe Bridge, the windows pop up menu appears. The only options that I’m offered when I Click ‘Open with’ are Adobe PS CS6 and Elements, both of which are installed on my computer.

I see no option for Affinity Photo!  Any idea as to how I can install Affinity photo as one of the installed editors?

I tried preferences but didn't know which option to use.

For the record, I am running the latest version of Affinity 1.8.3.641. All offers of help greatly appreciated.

William

@Herbill

Where did you buy the app, Affinity Store or M$ Store?

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

@Herbill

Thanks for that information.  😀

In which case, I wonder whether it has anything to do with whichever program you have set as the default to open, e.g. .jpg files?  As I said before, I have Affinity Photo set as the default to open most (?all) image files on my computer.  I do have other photo-manipulation software installed but that is not seen by Bridge, it seems.

If you go to Settings>Apps>Default apps>Choose default apps by file type, what is shown there as there as your default for, say, .jpg files?   I've just checked and .cr2 (Canon RAW files) also have the option to Opne with APh

HTH

Jeff

On 5/19/2020 at 11:44 AM, Joachim_L said:

Speaking of Adobe Bridge CS6 which I have installed I don't need to right-click an image to open it in AP. Have a look at preferences. You can assign file types to their applications. After assigning to AP you can open the files from Bridge with double-click.

Hi Joachim,

Where exactly under what heading in 'File type associations' can I assign Affinity Photo? I also wish to add additional editors such as Qimage, Fast stone etc. as I wish to have more flexibility when working in Bridge.

I appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Regards

William

I can show you only how it works in Bridge CS6 (German). Perhaps it is the same with the latest version? You just have to browse to where the exe of Affinity Photo is (on Windows).

bridge-1.jpg

bridge-2.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Hi Joachim,

Thanks for taking the trouble to illustrate how to assign the various file extensions to pick up Affinity Photo in Adobe Bridge. As a matter of fact, I have additionally allocated the following file extensions to suit my needs. But bear in mind that I have also CS6 and Photo Elements on my computer.

DNG to CS6

Jpeg to Affinity

.ORF to Affinity             (Olympus)

Fujifilm to Affinity

Panasonic to Affinity

Tiff to CS6

PSD to CS6

To explain, as well as an Olympus camera, I also use Panasonic both of which are MFT. Because CS6 is unable to read the latest formats from neither Olympus nor Panasonic I switched over to Affinity. I am still struggling a bit with Affinity, but I am more familiar with CS6, I export a Tiff file from Affinity and continue editing in CS6. My long term intension is to do all my processing in Affinity.

It’s a great bonus to be able to open Affinity now from Adobe Bridge.

Thanks again for your contribution. You put me on the right road.

Alles Gute

William