You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I wanted to ask if it is possible to modify a brightness mask created through automatic macros so that I can decide which area to work on more and others less.

I have seen non-affinity photo videos where the masks can be modified through levels of curves, levels etc. to vary the intensity of the mask and consequently the area of intervention

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi,

I'll refer you to this comment and thread

"You can apply a Curves Adjustment to a mask however it  doesn't change mask's pixel data directly, it only affects the mask non-destructively, that is, you see the results of the adjustment affecting the mask output, however the pixels on the mask itself don't change.

To do this drag a Curves Adjustment over the thumbnail of a mask until a small vertical blue line appears, then change the Curves Adjustement dropdown on bottom from Master to Alpha. Drag the graph curve/add point and you should see it affecting (non-destructively or just visually if you prefer) the mask."

What do you mean with "brightness masks"? A mask is just a grayscale layer. It can be used to narrow various kinds of content, like pixels, vectors, clippings, adjustment, effects, ...

Maybe the pop-up panel "Blend Options" will touch your soul to influence the impact of a mask in a non-destructive way?  https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Layers/layerBlendRanges.html

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

In some videos on the net I have seen "plug-ins" that allow you to select areas of brightness (luminosity masks) through special macros .... then they manage to change the tones of the mask to include or eliminate some unnecessary areas .... like a sky or a foreground.
as I downloaded a mascro that creates the luminosity mask in Aphoto I wanted to know if you can then modify it to increase / decrease the areas you are interested in modifying

On 5/19/2020 at 1:46 AM, Tony77 said:

masks can be modified through levels of curves, levels etc. to vary the intensity

19 hours ago, Tony77 said:

increase / decrease the areas you are interested in modifying

To me it is still not clear what you exactly ask for. Above you were pointed to three options: adjustment layers (–> "modified through levels"), Paint Brush tool and Blend Options (–> "vary intensity"). I add one more: menu Select > Grow / Shrink (–> "increase / decrease").

If they all don't meet your needs I recommend to create a mask inside or above of an image, select its layer and go through menus and tools to make experiences and get more familiar with the UI. For further questions you could upload screenshots to illustrate your approach or link your mentioned videos. Maybe words alone are too ambiguous here.

I mean the automatic panels of other photo editing programs .... panels that create masks from brightness levels and then through a slider you change the mask to expand the editing area .... example the videos on the Tk panel that seems to me do this.

I understand that there is no such automatic panel but I wanted to know how to do the same thing in a less automatic but effective way anyway

I hope I have been clear now :)

Yes you can.  Say, for example, you make a Tonal Range selection and then click the New Mask button on the layers panel.  You can (nondestructively) choke or expand the mask with a Levels adjustment, for example, by creating a new Levels adjustment layer and nesting it in the new Mask layer.  When you want to adjust the mask pixels, you need to make sure to select the "Alpha" section of the Levels adjustment (not the Master).

Kirk

7 hours ago, Tony77 said:

I hope I have been clear now

Your words sound clear but you seem to mean or express something different.

then through a slider you change the mask to expand the editing area

In my understanding you got already according answers above. Here screenshots were you may be able "through a slider" to "expand the editing area":

1338443285_selectmenu1.jpg.93dea3049a4226abbd7d3626de90c574.jpg

1429262967_selectmenu3.jpg.7ec39d117893ae3d9740ec7e67792039.jpg

1414092765_selectmenu2.jpg.1d63996cfa8f1dd7e069b204011b1a4f.jpg

videos on the Tk panel that seems to me do this.

What is "the Tk panel" ? Where are the videos?

@thomaso

5 hours ago, thomaso said:

What is "the Tk panel" ? Where are the videos?

TK-Panel is an interactive action collection for Photoshop, which is steplessly controlled by slider e.g. for luminance masks.

@Tony77

There are no such or similar panels for Affinity-Photo.

Similar results of a brightness mask can be achieved as follows.

Duplicate the opened image and create a grayscale image from the duplicate.

Create a new adjustment layer e.g. a level or a curve and adjust the brightness according to your needs,

with the shortcut CTRL and ALT and with a mouse click on the thumnail, a selection is made,

or alternatively rasterize the grayscale layer as a mask.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

• 5 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 6:31 PM, Tony77 said:

In some videos on the net I have seen "plug-ins" that allow you to select areas of brightness (luminosity masks) through special macros .... then they manage to change the tones of the mask to include or eliminate some unnecessary areas .... like a sky or a foreground.
as I downloaded a mascro that creates the luminosity mask in Aphoto I wanted to know if you can then modify it to increase / decrease the areas you are interested in modifying

Hi @Tony77

I'm a new user of Affinity Photo and I miss so much in this program the Tony Kuyper panel who is the action that you mentioned in this post...

Please can you link the videos or the action for the luminosity mask that you said.

Thx