You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I bought an eps file with an alpha channel. I opened it in Affinity Designer which I just purchased (LOVE IT ALREADY!!!!) At the risk of seeming thick as 2 short planks I cannot drop out the checkerboard pattern which indicates transparency, in order to have an alpha channel for the foreground elements. The ultimate destination is FCP X on Mac OS.

I cannot attach the file, as it is purchased, but the attached screenshot shows the transparency pattern. Can any clever soul guide me as to how to create an alpha channel? The Affinity guide does not show an entry for alpha channel

best regards, David.

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 21.57.35.png

Show us the layer panel with any layer groups expanded so we can see how it’s constructed.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Layer 87 looks a bit dodgy as does layer 162 😆

You may need to send the file privately to the Mods so they can have a look at it.

If you are prepared to do that, just request a dropbox link

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 hours ago, carl123 said:

Layer 87 looks a bit dodgy as does layer 162 😆

You may need to send the file privately to the Mods so they can have a look at it.

If you are prepared to do that, just request a dropbox link

carl123, many thanks for your post.... very helpful! I will contact the mods, as you suggest.

best regards, David

• Staff
19 hours ago, djfilms said:

carl123, many thanks for your post.... very helpful! I will contact the mods, as you suggest.

best regards, David

If you can upload your file to here I will take a look for you 👍

3 hours ago, Leigh said:

If you can upload your file to here I will take a look for you 👍

Leigh, EPS file uploaded to your link. I need either an alpha channel of the transparency OR the checkerboard pattern replaced by a uniform greenscreen colour (so I can key it out in FCPX.

regards, David

• Staff

If you expand the first layer you will see that the next sub layer is an image layer. If you hide or delete this, you will see the vector objects. You can then go to Document Setup > Colour and tick Transparent background.

24 minutes ago, Leigh said:

If you expand the first layer you will see that the next sub layer is an image layer. If you hide or delete this, you will see the vector objects. You can then go to Document Setup > Colour and tick Transparent background.

Leigh,  a thousand blessings on your household! That's enough to get me started solving the problem. Many thanks.  Also, as a suggestion for the documentation, I recommend a page about "alpha channel". This would help novices like me who are used to that terminology. best regards, David