You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to remove background from a picture of handwritten text and export it to a PNG with transparent background. I open a JPEG image in Affinity Photo. Adjust image to B&W and adjust brightness and contrast. I then go to Select=> Sampled Color and adjust to select everything but the text. I delete selection and I have included a screenshot of what I get. I then export as a PNG. The PNG file has a lighter background on it that I can't seem to get rid of. If I delete the selection, shouldn't it be gone with no trace?

Document=>Transparent Background is checked

I have made sure Matte in PNG export is "nothing"(red line through it).

I have also tried Filters=>colors=>Erase White Paper with a similar end result.

I have attached the original file and a screenshot of the final product in AF Photo. It got an error when I tried to upload the PNG file.

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance

PenMarker.jpg

Screenshot.jpg

Easiest way would be to split the image in half and apply the threshold filter to each half.

1. Select the top part “Text Test Pen" using the rectangle marquee tool 
    356319179_ScreenShot2020-05-18at21_55_27.png.606bc96d8e1507ad27bd778ad6d8fc06.png
  2. Now Cut (Command + X) and paste Command +V the selection
    You should now have something like this...
    833100573_ScreenShot2020-05-18at22_08_22.png.5c1e565bc652455118e0ff54351685fd.png
  3.  Select the top Layer and apply a Threshold filter using 59% and hit Merge.
    193708455_ScreenShot2020-05-18at22_02_44.png.0206c18e64eb2ae1e396e25f4758c98b.png
  4. Do the same with the bottom layer but use 50% and hit merge
  5. Now select both layers, right-click  and merge visible
  6. Delete the old layers used to merge visible
  7. Apply the Erase White Paper filter.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions