You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text is very slow

Text usage is very slow. If I use a text frame, after less than a paragraph it starts to slow down -- I type in text and it takes a moment or two to show up on the screen.  It gets slower as I integrate more text. Slightly worse with artistic text.

Affinity Designer Version: 1.8.3.641 (recent install)
Video card: Radeon RX 570 (in case it helps)
OS was recently installed, with minimal number of fonts installed. Same issue even on a clean boot with no other applications running.

Strange: I have a dual-screen setup -- when I use the second screen for the dockers (I would like to have this setup) the problem is MUCH worse.  Note my main screen is landscape and my second screen is portrait orientation.

This is not very much text. I realize for many pages of text this would be the wrong application and that might be an issue but this is just a few paragraphs, that might appear on any number of flyers, info sheets, etc.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I would try operation with only one monitor. Operating the second monitor can be a big load for the OS, or even the video driver/card itself.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi M G,

Are you still finding the performance bad (albeit not as bad as dual screens) with a single screen as Pšenda has asked? If so could you get a screen recording showing the performance you see with a single screen please?

I have the same issue and some more details:

1. @PšendaUsing multiple monitors isn't a "big load", it is a marginally higher load than using one monitor and can pretty much be compared to using a higher resolution monitor, with today's hardware even on most laptops, any issues arising from using two monitors in applications that don't have a constant high performance demand is usually a software bug and not an actual performance problem.

2. @Sean PI have tracked down what is causing these issue for me: Having the "History" studio window visible causes medium amount of typing latency, having the "Appearance" window open causes high added latency, having both visible stacks and causes a very high amount of latency from key press to showing up on screen.

My relevant specs are:

Software: Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641

CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2630v3 with unlocked 3.2GHz boost.

GPU: Nvidia 980ti

Disk: Affinity is installed on an SSD that isn't showing any errors or corruption.

Screens: 3440x1440 at 120hz and 1920x1080 at 60hz - I tested for this behavior with only the 1920x1080 at 60hz screen connected, which should be "the most standard" display configuration and it was still present.

Here is a video of the issue: https://i.imgur.com/8JBx0y4.mp4 I can't really show when I am actually pressing keys so when you see the mouse starts moving is when my hands are off the keyboard.

• Staff

Hi Winkelmann,

Thanks for the video. What size document are you using in the video and at what DPI? I've used an A0 landscape with a 280pt font (as that is about what I can see from the video), and whilst I do some lag compared to having the Appearance Panel hidden, I don't get it anywhere near as bad as yours.

Specs wise I'm running a Core i7 6700k, 16gb ram, SSD and an NVIDIA 970 with two monitors at 1080p 60hz.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for my delay here but I will try these things.

A second monitor really should not be an issue in today's marketplace, between my core CPU and my GPU it should be essentially a non-issue.  I suspect it's a software issue.

Marc