You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fill Shape with Image - Affinity Designer - Need Help ASAP PLS

I need to fill shapes with images, in Designer.  I've watched a tutorial which instructs me to create the Shape and then drag the desired Image (already in the working space) up onto the Shape.  In the tutorial, the shape fills with the image on both the Artboard and the Context dashboard .

However, when I try the same actions, nothing happens.  See screen-shots below.

I have a project due TODAY. Need an answer ASAP pls.  THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

image.png.c87a035fa8e7444baa61c1cf5d1dc686.png

image.png.54b87a9d76129da41f474380a616da22.png

Can you upload the file, I’m curious as to how you have it nested but it’s not clipping the image.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just move the bottom small image up into the ellipse part, it's outside it's shape.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

20 minutes ago, G13RL said:

Picture.gif

38 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Can you upload the file, I’m curious as to how you have it nested but it’s not clipping the image.

Thanks... here is the file.  Appreciate you taking a look.

I have NO idea why this is not working.  When I move the image up onto the elipse, in the Artboard, they both disappear.   When I try to move the Image onto the Elipse in the Layers area, nothing happens. 

Clearly I am not doing something right.

Well you have gotten yourself tied in knots with Artboard 3 actually with artboard in general 🤔, with two images and two ellipses

So, we need to cull...

1. Select the move tool (V) Click on the top image on Artboard 3 and delete it
  2. Select the move tool (V) Click on the small ellipse off to the left on Artboard 3 and delete it
  3. Click on the bottom image layer on Artboard 3, and, as several people have shown drag the image into view by moving it to the same location as the big ellipse.

Pat yourself on the back, have a celebratory jig or make a cuppa and have a biccy but don’t do all three together, you just made a clipping mask from an ellipse. :)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

WOW... this was about as much fun as a root canal!  After much head-banging and many words of ill color...I flushed the cache, etc and shut down / restarted ye old PC.  Miraculously, the various steps above now work. Was not doing anything different.  Sheeeeesh.

Thanks to all.  GREATLY appreciate the quick and helpful responses. 

• 6 months later...

Im having the same problem and nothing is working.  I've tried all above suggestions and It still wont take. every time i try to drag the image it just drops it below the shape and doesnt drop it in the shape. is there something i've clicked by accident that is preventing this from happening? The last time i tried this it worked fine and now it's not working. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Garrerttm. :)

The blue highlight in the Layers panel needs to start to the right of the shape thumbnail. If it goes all the way across you’ll simply end up with the image layer below the shape layer.

Try cropping instead of clipping/masking: drag the shape layer and drop it onto the image thumbnail.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...
57 minutes ago, Elpaso101 said:

What about clipping an image into multiple shapes?

Combine the shapes (geometrical "+" add them), then clip the image to the combined shape layer!

A circle and rect shape combined as one layer and clipped Duffy below ...

combined.png.17d58a6401bcf285689d6c8c2bb6b21a.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2