You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Basing text operation on MS word is a BIG mistake!

I am a Quark and InDesign user and I think basing your text manipulation on MS Word is a HUUUUGE mistake. It's extremely unprofessional. I'm don't think I'm going to continue with publisher. Photo and Designer are great apps but I think this one is a complete failure . . . sorry. I'm going to purchase another computer so I can continue to use InDesign from CS6 . . .

I'm not sure what you mean about "basing text manipulation on MS Word", @kanihoncho. Can you explain that a bit more?

There is no need to make use of MS Word with Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Or maybe the fact that importing a Word file brings along its style tags. That is usually a nuisance – basic text import should discard original styles and keep only local formatting. In very controlled workflows mapping Word styles to Publisher styles may be useful, but keeping imported Word styles as they are: never.

7 hours ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

The OP might be pointing at the lack of a built-in text/article editor, and the reliance of Publisher on external tools for text editing.

They might, but nothing requires that one use MS Word. One could use any kind of editor one wants. One can even edit in Publisher without using external tools.

But we really need more information from the OP about what they meant, rather than having to guess.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, Cranky Old Huckster said:

Thank you. It will be more than crankiness! 😉

Hangry?

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

15 hours ago, Fixx said:

Or maybe the fact that importing a Word file brings along its style tags. That is usually a nuisance – basic text import should discard original styles and keep only local formatting. In very controlled workflows mapping Word styles to Publisher styles may be useful, but keeping imported Word styles as they are: never.

I find importing styles useful, to preserve most of the original text. An easy workaround to prevent this to happen, is to open the original text into a text editor that can save in plain text format. Then, it will be easy to import text with no styles applied.

Paolo

A properly tagged Word file such as those used in academic or scientific publishing can be seamlessly imported to an InDesign file where text styles have been previously set. The styles are matched on import. That’s a significant time saver in tight production workflows. 

I haven’t tried that with Publisher (I just started with the app) yet. If it can be done, it would be a plus. 

6 hours ago, PaoloT said:

I find importing styles useful, to preserve most of the original text. An easy workaround to prevent this to happen, is to open the original text into a text editor that can save in plain text format. Then, it will be easy to import text with no styles applied.

But you lose local formatting that way. Not good.

Indesign does nothing with text until you establish a style. I've gone into styles and they seem very similar to the way word is setup. I think that spacing before and after paragraphs already built in is an MS Word feature.  Another issue with Adobe is that the same function has to be achieved different ways in two programs. Tabs in Designer are pretty much useless when creating graphs and charts. Why can't they bring the tab function from Publisher into Designer so we don't have to learn another way to do the same? I have been using these programs a lot lately and I'm starting to not like them. I have a lot of little features that just suddenly refuse to work until I restart the programs. Perhaps I should start maintaining a list . . . these are never repeatable and happen sporadically. Another issue is leading is frequently the same size as the chosen font. 12 pt type should be 12/14 or 12/15 by default. Same for all other font sizes; the type size + 3 points is standard leading for most programs. These apps are not growing up fast enough. I realize they are only $50 but I would pay more for all the exciting initial debut features these apps have and the adoption of the myriad of recommendations people have made. Sorry about the rant but these apps are starting to disappoint me the more I use them. And I don't really want to go back to Adobe

1 hour ago, kanihoncho said:

Another issue is leading is frequently the same size as the chosen font. 12 pt type should be 12/14 or 12/15 by default. Same for all other font sizes; the type size + 3 points is standard leading for most programs.

Font size plus 3 would be far too large a leading, in my opinion.

In any case, the Affinity applications use the leading specified by the font designer, who should be the expert in what looks best for their font.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Affinity applications use the leading specified by the font designer

I think you meant kerning.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

looks best

… is not what is best

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Font size plus 3 would be far too large a leading, in my opinion.

Example: If you use Zapfino, 12/12 or 12/15 is far to small leading.

8 hours ago, Seneca said:

I think you meant kerning.

No, I meant leading, but default kerning is another font metric that Affinity picks up from the font design.

If you choose a specific font size, and then observe the leading while you change the selected font, you will see that the default paragraph leading changes based on the font you have selected.

-- Walt
PC:

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No, I meant leading, but default kerning is another font metric that Affinity picks up from the font design.

I never heard of any font designer concerned about the leading.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

2 hours ago, Seneca said:

I never heard of any font designer concerned about the leading.

Can't say I have either but there is a difference in the leading when Default is chosen for leading. I chose Allan and Bell as fonts and for 11pt type I got 11pts and 13.4 pts when using Default.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I found this post by Dave Harris:

As Walt says, we get the default from the font metrics. You can however change that for new documents via Edit > Defaults > Save.

So that settles it then.