You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quick way to center intersection point of ruler

Hello everyone,

I am look for a quick way to center the point of origin/ intersection point/ spread origin of the ruler in Affinity Photo (vers. 1.8.3.641). I know I can move it with the move tool or via the Guides Manager.
However, this would require me to calculate the middle of hight and width by hand. I could not find a way so far to have it start there automatically (or any thread with the solution on here, I am afraid).

What I am looking looking for is how to have the origin of the ruler be in the dead center of any given image (would also be nice for the grid, too, to have it start right in the middle of a picture).
This would especially useful for pictures with non-standard dimensions.

Thank you in advance!

image.png.e60b2f826358e2cddb6e247669d95a85.pngClick the crosshair symbol

image.png.44ae311a9c05de3bcfaef5a94dc7e557.pngThe 'crosshair' symbol will appear in selected photo center

image.png.b3d2f32e3019abcc27aa0d64aa871747.pngDrag from upper left corner to move origin

image.png.0168038cd1bda870321d2e4a17fc4fb0.png You will see the crosshairs 

image.png.41d3e4ff5493b7ca6eb1e79e8d56aba6.png As you continue, crosshairs will go red/ green when centered

I don’t know why Fred C mentioned the Transform Origin above as it’s not necessary; the Transform Origin is at the centre of all layers by default.
I’ve attached a short video showing how you can move the spread origin to the centre of an image.
Make sure you have “Snapping” ON (Snap to Spread + Include Spread mid points), make sure you have "Rulers" ON, select the Move Tool (the pointer, not the hand) and drag the origin until you see the red and green snapping lines.
You can also set this manually via the Guides Manager.
If this doesn’t work for you then we might need a full-screen video showing what is happening.

Thanks, GarryP!

Well the transformation originis a good start to see where the center is to begin with.
The thing I missed was simply the snapping, I had it deactivated - with it, the lines change to colour, and everything works fine.

Now, to additional, but at the moment not pressimng questions:
1) Can I put this as a default setting, so I don't have to do it for every picture by hand?
2) Can I set/change the origin of the grid as well?

Thanks for your help again.

Edited by MSchmid

You’re welcome.
As far as I know you can’t have the spread origin anywhere other than the top-left by default. I haven’t seen any way to change this but someone else might have better information.
As for the Grid origin, you can move that by going into the Grid and Axis Manager, selecting a Mode that is not “Automatic”, checking “Show axis editing handles” and dragging the control handle (red and green “L”, normally at the top-left) to wherever you want.

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

As for the Grid origin, you can move that by going into the Grid and Axis Manager, selecting a Mode that is not “Automatic”, checking “Show axis editing handles” and dragging the control handle (red and green “L”, normally at the top-left) to wherever you want.

Oh man. I was rummaging through the Grid and Axis Manager but somehow completely missed that option. 🤦‍♂️

Thanks again!

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

I don’t know why Fred C mentioned the Transform Origin above as it’s not necessary; the Transform Origin is at the centre of all layers by default.

'Cause I didn't know that; Thanks GarryP  👍