You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo doesn't reset after each jpeg document

version 183.641 Affinity Photo

I can reproduce this bug

The bug does not happen for a new document

Here is an accurate description of the problem...

Conditions:

Using Windows 10

The problem:  This will occur with any 2 image files.  You open a jpeg and then use Impainting brush or unsharp mask.  Everything works as it should.  Close the document but leave the program operating, and then open another jpeg, and then try to use either impainting brush or unsharp mask, and neither works as it should.  To get it to work, you need to exit the program, and then restart it.  Then everything works fine again.

Computer hardware is a 1 year old DELL Inspiron with a graphics card  and AMD processor Rizen 7.    I am using a 500GB flash drive for drive C, and assigning all of my Windows 10 categories to an 8TB hard drive in drive D, such as desktop, documents, music, videos, pictures, etc.

Edited by denoving@gmail.com
I thought of one more thought to clarify

On 5/18/2020 at 10:43 AM, denoving@gmail.com said:

The problem:  This will occur with any 2 image files.  You open a jpeg and then use Impainting brush or unsharp mask.  Everything works as it should.  Close the document but leave the program operating, and then open another jpeg, and then try to use either impainting brush or unsharp mask, and neither works as it should.  To get it to work, you need to exit the program, and then restart it.  Then everything works fine again.

You didn't say whether you saved the "inpainted" image over the original jpg before closing the file, or saved as an .afphoto file, or exported a jpg under a different name, or just simply closed the file without any save..

Initially when I tried this it worked as it should have, however after trying various combinations of the above the inpainting tool stopped working altogether, and even closing Affinity Photo and re-opening it several times didn't return the brush to working order.

After a program reset (Ctrl key start, all items ticked except Keyboard shortcuts and Macro library) it then returned to working as it should, and despite having tried all of the above combinations over multiple images, it hasn't malfunctioned again.

Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641, on Windows 10 Pro, 1909, build 18363.836.

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

• Staff

Thanks for checking Greyfox. I cannot reproduce this even on the first go.

I initially thought that it may be due to the filter not resetting its settings between documents... 

@denoving@gmail.com - does this happen with any other filters?

Can I also recommend changing your username (you should not really display your email publicly as it may lead to an increase in spam if it gets crawled). 

In answer to Greyfox....I export the modified file to a new name after i use the filter.  In answer to Chris B, I have not tried it with other filters.  But i will try that and report what i find later today.

Also in answer to Chris B., how do I change my username?  The website asked for my email address.  

regards,

Dan

Here's the update....

Answer to Chris B.:  I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't repeat this problem, even though I experienced it 3 days ago.  I've been fighting this

problem for months since I purchased Affinity Photo, so i'm very surprised.  I did have a Microsoft Windows update just a couple days ago.

That is the ONLY thing that has changed on my computer that I'm aware of.  I have done a lot of software development in my career, I'm an engineer,

and so I'm as surprised as they get about this.  I have waited all these months to report the problem, and then when I report the problem and then

I go to test the problem 1 more time it doesn't work???????   Crazy world we live in.

• Staff

Hi Dan,

Left-click your profile in the top-right corner and go to Account Settings. You can then hit Change next to your existing username to change it :) 

No worries about the report. There might be something missing from the recipe which can happen when you're on auto-pilot. Keep your eye out for it and post in here if it happens again! 

I was able to cause the Unsharp mask to not work, after I had done several crops on a single jpeg, and I was able to repeat that problem.

regards,

Dan

OK, so, here's the example.  I opened DSC04531.jpg with Affinity Photo, and it turns out that when I took this picture, I got too much light into the camera sensor, and the whites are washed out in the middle of the picture ( I can't upload the picture  because apparently your website blows up when files are bigger than 20MB.  The picture was taken with a SONY A7Riii, which has a sensor that takes 42MB jpegs, and raws much bigger yet )  Anyway, so the whites are blown out in the middle of the picture, so I'm trying to crop out the blown out image section, so I can salvage the lower left corner of the image file.  So I crop out most of the upper and right side of the image, and I notice that the image isn't quite in focus, almost, but no cigar.  So I try to use the unsharp mask, and it acts like it's working, but I notice when I slide the sliders that nothing is really happening, and the image isn't any sharper or changed in any way.  So I close Affinity photo and restart opening the cropped image (without sharpening), and it all works like it should.

I'll try to crop down the image and see if I can repeat it, so I can upload the cropped down image so you can try it.

OK, it worked.  I will upload the half cropped original image, the unsharpenable, and then the sharpened after restarted image....

except your website blew up again and gave me the -200 error(file too big).

I'll try again.

Capture3.thumb.JPG.418750778f80dd0d326739916957ca3a.JPG

cropped sharpend after restarting Photo DSC04531.jpg

cropped unsharpenable DSC04531.jpg

OK, here we go one more time.  The original file was cropped down below 12mB, which seems to be where your website blows up.  I've attached the cropped original.  I cropped it twice more, then I applied a new adjustment layer brightness/contrast so I could see where it was blown out whites.  Next i cropped once again.  At that point I could see that some of the picture was not in focus, so I attempted to use unsharp mask, but although it acted like it was working, it wasn't actually doing anything.  So I exported that file.  I closed out Photo, and then reopened Photo and then the unsharp mask worked as it should.  I attached all 3 files below....and it didn't blow up.  see below.  Hope you can do something with this.   regards, Dan

cropped_DSC04531thrice.jpg

cropped sharpend DSC04531.jpg

cropped unsharpenable DSC04531.jpg

• Staff

Hey denov,

I've been at this for a good hour and the only time I notice nothing happening is when I accidentally start applying the filter to one of the Live Filter Layers—are you only using Live Filter Layer Unsharp Mask or are you using the destructive one for Filters menu at the top?

Hi Chris:  

I didn't even know there was unsharp mask in the live filters menu.  I  have always used the "filters" menu item at the top.  It's clear I need to learn more about Photo.  I've used Photo on more than 10,000 photographs, so I guess it's about time I figure out how to use the tool.  Yes, I've been using the destructive filters menu at the top.

One other question:  What is the best tutorial videos out there to learn about how to operate the Affinity products (Photo, and the other two)  I recently bought the other two, but have no idea how to operate them.

regards,

Denov

• Staff

Hey Denov,

I know some of the Live Filter layers will redraw at document view whereas the destructive ones are drawn at pixel level. I'm not sure if this is true for the Unsharp Mask but I wonder if it has something to do with the view zoom and cropping... I'll have to put some time aside to test it.

It could also be that the Unsharp Mask was being applied to an Adjustment Layer, which is pictured lower down in the stack in your screenshot—hard to tell without a video.

Try the Live Filter layer and see if you can reproduce the issue.

For tutorials, we have a YouTube channel which I personally prefer. This link here as the three apps broken down into a bunch of categories:
https://www.youtube.com/user/AffinitySuite/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=4

• 1 month later...

Hello again Chris:  I know you haven't been able to reproduce what I'm seeing, and by the way, I'm still seeing it routinely.  It greatly increases my processing time for images.  Regardless if you can reproduce the problem, I certainly can with my setup.  I'm just wondering if it would be possible to add a reset initial conditions key or function that would reset all the controls of so that the current image plus program thinks that you just opened up the program, yet all of the current image and history remains the same?  That would save me a huge amount of time not having to reset the program every couple of minutes.  Also, thanks for the link to the tutorials, they were very helpful.

regards,

dan