You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[UX issue] ALT + slider in level adjustments "reversed"

I think your levels adjustments, input levels together with alt key shows the mathematical logic - not what the user gets. Showing white when the result of the user action is black is counter intuitive!

One of the features I have used intensively in Photoshop is ALT + slider in both Camera RAW and several adjustment dialoges. Fx levels adjustment, input levels. The darker the result, the darker the representation of it. Vice versa when pulling the white slider. This is how it works in PS:

alt_ps.gif.e0588f8a31659c40d5d0102ca7763d1e.gif

I was delighted to see that ALT + slider is also implemented in the levels adjustment in Photo. But the result is shown reversed compared to Photoshop. The darker the result, the brighter the representation of it?? Vice versa when pulling the white slider.

alt_photo.gif.78b8124c7b8e717cffe59dd200b26b8e.gif

Ergo. Showing white when the result of the user action is black is counter intuitive!

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Jowday,

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party on this one. I think it's probably a preference thing here—I do see what you're saying though.

The goal is to visualise tones that you're clipping: when alt-click dragging the black slider you start with black, then you gradually add to that when you start clipping tones and vice-versa for white. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 3:00 PM, Chris B said:

Hi Jowday,

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party on this one. I think it's probably a preference thing here—I do see what you're saying though.

The goal is to visualise tones that you're clipping: when alt-click dragging the black slider you start with black, then you gradually add to that when you start clipping tones and vice-versa for white. 

Hehe late at the party means you skipped the civilized slow beginning, going directly to the fun 🙂

I don't agree it is a preference thing. 

Photo and Photoshop does the very same thing; visualize tones that are clipping as you alt-draw the sliders. The difference is that the hint from the user interface is inverted in Photo. It is totally confusing that clipped highlights is shown with black and clipped dark tones is shown with white. I simply don't see the advantage of inverting them.

🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.