You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to remove layer effect

Sorry for the simple question but I couldn't find an answer in the help files...How do you remove/delete a layer effect once it's been applied? For example you apply an effect to some text. Save the file and reopen it later and decide you don't want the effect. I can't see any way to remove it with out deleting the text as well.

• Staff

Hi Jmac,

If you wish to remove an effect from an object you should select it and then go to the effects tab on the left hand side of the app. In this tab you will have all of your Effects listed with check marks next to the ones that are applied to your object. Un-checking these boxes will remove the effect from the selected object. You may also double click the FX symbol next to your Layers to take you to the Effects window for that layer. Here you will also see checkboxes to the left of the Effects that you can toggle to remove or apply the Effect.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 7 years later...
7 hours ago, Panchdara said:

Instead of unchecking them individually?

Try copy (Ctrl+C) object without fx, and Paste FX (Alt+Shift+V) on the object with fx.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

8 hours ago, Panchdara said:

Old thread, I know... but why isn't there a simple option to remove the effect? Instead of unchecking them individually? AD 1.10.5

Possibly because there have not been enough requests to add that in the feature request forum.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

Try copy (Ctrl+C) object without fx, and Paste FX (Alt+Shift+V) on the object with fx.

That seems like an OK but not great workaround because for it to work, the document must have at least one object that has no effects applied to it to copy. I was hoping I could create a macro that would add an object that has no effects, copy that, do the paste effects step, & then delete added object but I could not figure out how to include the copy step in the macro.

Maybe someone else can?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I was hoping I could create a macro that would add an object that has no effects, copy that, do the paste effects step, & then delete added object but I could not figure out how to include the copy step in the macro.

The macro wouldn't need to add an object. You could add one before you start recording, and just copy it in the macro. 

What problem are you having trying to copy in the macro? Macros accept Edit > Copy, don't they?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The macro wouldn't need to add an object. You could add one before you start recording, and just copy it in the macro. 

What problem are you having trying to copy in the macro? Macros accept Edit > Copy, don't they?

First, the idea is to add the object as part of the macro so that does not have to be done as a separate step.

Second, no, I cannot get the macro recorder to accept the Edit > Copy menu item (or by using a keyboard shortcut or whatever) step. Have you tried recording that step in a macro yourself? If so, does it work for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

I wish I'd thought of that

As to a macro, try the attached, it's almost as good as a button in thge interface that allows one to dump the fx. Select the layer with the fx and run it

KillFx.afmacro

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

6 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

As to a macro, try the attached...

It works fine for me, but I do not understand how you made its single(?) "Apply Object Style" step. Can you explain more about that? Specifically, how did you record an object style in a macro?

Affinity Photo 

Trade secret
Oh all right then. I drew a rectangle and put some fx on it. Then drew the simplest thing I could envisage, a two node line which I then copied
Selected the rectangle, started the macro recorder, clicked Edit/ Paste FX, stopped recorder.
Tada

Bonus question, why is it Edit/ Paste FX when everywhere else it's fx, I need to know?

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

18 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

Trade secret
Oh all right then....

Gee David that is a rookie mistake, giving away your secrets.

19 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

Bonus question, why is it Edit/ Paste FX when everywhere else it's fx, I need to know?

I think it is because italics are frowned upon in Menus. I seem to recall some hack back in the old System 6, 7, 8 and 9 days which would allow bold and or italic but it could just be my memory playing false. It may have involved ResEdit.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, David in Яuislip said:

I think it is because "fx" at the bottom of the Layers panel is not a glyph or a pair of letters but instead a button icon, like those for mask layer, adjustment layer, etc. Like someone said, icons sometimes used to be something that could appear in Mac app menu items but maybe became impossible or at least not considered best practice once OS X was released.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

Create a default style you like>for example; no stroke, one fill color.
When you have fx applied to an object and you want to remove them>click this style in the stylespanel>done

The problem with that is not everything that has effects applied to it typically is something you want to have the same fill color as every other item that has effects applied to it that you might want to remove in a single step.

Affinity Photo 

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

I cannot get the macro recorder to accept the Edit > Copy menu item (or by using a keyboard shortcut or whatever) step. Have you tried recording that step in a macro yourself?

Macros have never recorded a step for Edit >Copy in the macro (recording) window but whatever you copy is physically placed inside the macro

So, if you Edit > Copy an image that image is placed inside the macro but you will see no entry for that in the macro panel

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

14 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Thank you indeed. That does work. However I would have thought that a simple "Remove Fx" in the context menu would be more appropriate.

No worries.... I got a sensible answer, and a most polite response.

Best regards

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

That seems like an OK but not great workaround because for it to work, the document must have at least one object that has no effects applied to it to copy.

It is easier and faster (than searching for a suitable object in the document) to create a suitable object - for example using the Rectangles Tool. And it works universally in all applications, not only in APhoto, which supports Macros (personally, I use it most often in ADesigner, because I don't use fx effects very often when editing photos).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

23 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Gee David that is a rookie mistake, giving away your secrets.

I don't mind helping people cos lots of people have helped me over the years but only a real rookie would not notice the size of that macro; I offer profound and sincere apologies.
Anyway, plan 'B', draw random shape and apply all fx to it
Start macro recorder and turn all the fx off one by one
Stop recorder
673 bytes versus 375 kb 

Haha, I win....except that Pšenda already did

KillFx-2.afmacro

1 hour ago, David in Яuislip said:

Haha, I win....except that Pšenda already did

I would call it a tie. Your macros are (almost?) one step solutions but they only work in AP. @Pšenda method takes more steps but works in all the Affinity apps.

Affinity Photo