You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Power Duplicate - Even Concentric Shapes

I'm trying to create a series of evenly spaced concentric shapes using power duplicate. I used CTRL + J then increased the overall dimension by adding +70px in the Transform panel ( see transform.jpg ).

Using power duplicate after this ( CTRL+ J ) I thought all the subsequent shapes would be 70px apart, but the gap increases exponentially ( see result.jpg ). How can I get the power duplicate function to just add 70px each time?

transform.JPG

result.JPG

The ‘power duplicate’ feature doesn’t currently offer an option to give you an arithmetic progression instead of a geometric one, so you have to resort to a workaround:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred

Thanks Alfred - really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Very disappointing though - this is way too much effort for something that should be pretty simple.

I'll just type +70px in the Transform box each time, unless there's a keyboard shortcut to repeat all those steps ( * add a thick stroke to the circle; * menu "Layer → Expand Stroke"; * menu "Layer →Geometry → Separate Curves"; * select the inner circle; * ) ?

FYI I actually use something slightly different.  If I need to have 10 circles that are 70px apart in diameter, use cmd J to duplicate the circle 9 times at the existing size.  I then make sure the center is selected and the aspect ratio is locked.  Save "+70px*" to the clipboard.  Click on the lowest circle's layer.

Press opt cmd }            to go to the next circle's layer

Click twice on either the X or Y dimension

Press cmd V                 to paste the +70px* to the base circle size

Press 2 and Enter         increment this number with each circle

Repeat

So far that's the easiest way I have found to do it.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• 3 years later...

Re: Evenly-spaced concentric circles using a grid and subdivisions

This isn't scientifically accurate, but it may be useful where artistic rather than absolute microscopic accuracy is adequate. I used a grid and drew the initial circle so the top, bottom and extreme sides cover the respective subdivision borders of the grid; copy/paste, expand the concentric copy to the next square of subdivisions, etc. 

I've tried other methods (e.g., building progressively larger circles on adjacent layers of the Layers panel, but that "grew old" pretty quickly). 

So this will work for what little concentric circle work I do. Of course saving your best construction for future use would avoid having to "re-invent the wheel" each time.

Concentric circles.jpg

This is an old thread but the new Spiral Tool can now be used to create concentric circles

A search of the forum will show you how

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.