You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi guys,

Thank you for this amazing software! I'm a new user, and I'm enjoying it a lot!

I would like to ask you though to please allow fractions of percent in the Levels. Adjusting the levels in 1/100 steps is just not precise enough to make a series of images match color-wise.

Today I spent the whole morning trying to make five images look consistent, nudging 1 percent back and forth in Levels, but eventually gave up and exported them with quite some difference in colors.

12 minutes ago, GringoFX said:

I would like to ask you though to please allow fractions of percent in the Levels. Adjusting the levels in 1/100 steps is just not precise enough to make a series of images match color-wise.Today I spent the whole morning trying to make five images look consistent, nudging 1 percent back and forth in Levels, but eventually gave up and exported them with quite some difference in colors.

As an option (somewhere discreet in the dialog), sure. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

6 minutes ago, Jowday said:

As an option (somewhere discreet in the dialog), sure. 

For example, the Gamma control in Levels dialog is adjusted by integer increments using mouse wheel, but you can type in any decimal values, or you can get decimals while dragging the slider. This could be the same for Black Level and White Level

Just now, GringoFX said:

For example, the Gamma control in Levels dialog is adjusted by integer increments using mouse wheel, but you can type in any decimal values, or you can get decimals while dragging the slider. This could be the same for Black Level and White Level

Gamma is a very sensitive value thus the decimal adjustment as default. In the black and white adjustments decimals are rarely needed in image editing. Thus the different UX approach here. Adjusting decimals when pulling the slider is unnecessarily complex and an illogical unit for simple image adjustments. That is why I suggest it should be optional. Available but optional. 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Well, I've described scenario which seems to be quite common for photo editing, and 1/100 is too rough of a step for it. Why does it have to be adjusted by a whole percent increment? Why not by permille or a tenth of percent?

I understand the 1/256 step in 30 years old Photoshop. It was designed to work with 8bit per channel. But what's the meaning of even rougher control for 32bit linear images in a modern software?

6 hours ago, GringoFX said:

I would like to ask you though to please allow fractions of percent in the Levels.

You can manually type fractions, such as 34.6% 

The display will round it up to 35% but the value will actually be 34.6%

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

19 hours ago, GringoFX said:

Hm, interesting! Thank you for the tip!

Still, the fact of someone making a feature request on the subject shows that this behaviour is not very intuitive...

Maybe, indeed, like Jowday suggested, there could be an option to display decimals in values defined as percent in the Preferences > User Interface?

Perhaps even closer :) From Affinity:

unit.gif.bab71cb173a1195652745ad919895061.gif

10 hours ago, GringoFX said:

If something like this was available in the Levels, it would be good. Although, I'd still prefer seeing fractions of percent or even range from 0 to 1 instead of percentage, rather than 8bit or 16bit steps.

Yes of course that should be the options, not bit steps.

• 8 months later...