You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The absolute only reason I've yet to dump my CC subscription is that EVERY other fine photo program has invested 0 time into the "print" function making it easy to use for people who aren't rocket scientist, engineer nerds.. Does Adobe hold a patent on usability and common sense. As long as I can remember its always been quick and easy to switch sizes, resize and switch formats WYSIWYG in Photoshop for a couple decades. Is it just me? and I have a low tolerance for ineptness. I have DXO photo lab, Affinity Photo,  Luminar and Photoshop CC. Only PS has this feature and ability to figure out how to make a full frame 4 x 6 automagically instantly without user math input. Thank You. A former Adobe beta tester. i would like this resolved ASAP so I can confidently cancel my CC. I used Serif Photo back in the day and it worked fine for printing quickly.

All the Best

Hi, Thanks for responding. In the menu I select print. then I must manually size the dimensions to match 4 x6 as opposed to it calculating automagically. Maybe Im doing something wrong. Please instruct me if you know a better way. Im a man and admit as typical, did not read the directions. A male mental deficet. lol Thank You Kindly

On 5/21/2020 at 8:39 AM, CreatingImages said:

then I must manually size the dimensions to match 4 x6

If you are using a photo printer and printing onto 4x6 photo paper, then you just need to make sure that the aspect ratio of the image matches the 4x6 ratio and you can tell the Print window to scale to fit the paper.  (Obviously, make sure you have selected the correct paper size.)

If your aspect ratio does not already match, select the crop tool in the toolbar, then in the context toolbar, set the Mode to Custom Ratio and enter 4 x 6 (or equivalently 2 x 3) in the boxes just to the right of that.  Move and adjust the cropping rectangle as needed, then click Apply on the left edge of the context toolbar.

If you are trying to print the photo as a 4 x 6 on a larger sheet of paper, then you will also need to adjust the document's DPI setting to give it a size of 4 x 6.  You can do this by first cropping to the correct aspect ratio (as per the above) if it is not already correct, then select Document -> Resize Document.  Turn off the Resample option, set Units to Inches, and set the Size (at the top) to 4 x 6 - this should change the DPI setting for the document to cause the image to be the correct size.  Then set the document to be printed at a 100% scale when printing.

EDIT: I should also mention that the crop tool in Affinity Photo is non-destructive.  If you later return to the crop tool and turn on the "Reveal" checkbox, you will see the rest of the image and can adjust the cropping rectangle to bring it back again.

Thanks for the excellent tutorial, I guess I was hoping for a less 1995 way to do it, like the photoshop print dialog. guess i'll have to keep supporting Adobe. I'm betting less people print these days, thus does not justify the time investment in the print module for photo programs. Besides printing is not a wiz bang feature selling point. Alas, thank you and maybe this suggestion will be implemented just as many of my Adobe Beta test ideas have eventually. fingers crossed. thanks

All the Best 

If the option "Fit to printable" doesn't show up in your AP print dialog, it might be the manufacturer of your printer, who can't provide a proper driver.

I just need to select the size of the paper and activate said option. That works for me even without knowing much about rocket science (neither does it feel vintage). It's actually almost exactly the same procedure which I have to do in Adobe's programs.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

OK, Tried that it worked as you claimed, Thanks. BUT, even though Serif printed better blacks from an 8 bit RGB black and white than Adobe, Nice. it introduced ink jet printer banding. on my Canon IJ can you please suggest a solution. Thanks so Much.

All the best