You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I am in the Affinity trial right now. Am still a newbie when it comes to all sorts of PS type things. Can anyone tell me how to add a black background to a selection refinement image?  The video I watched showed how to add a white background but not other ones, such as black. Also, how do I extend the background and add a different foot to this image? Finally, after all my work, it looks like this images still has background showing through even though I removed it. Thanks so much!

OLIVIA BALLET CUTOUT.afselection

Welcome to the forum Anne, you appear to have uploaded an .afselection file not the Affinity Photo .afphoto file.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Adding a black background instead is easy.

1. Since you already have a good selection, select the layer in the layers panel and the move tool and then Edit -> Copy (Cmd-c) the selection portions.
  2. Now you create two new pixel layers above your initial background layer with the "new pixel layer button" on the bottom of the layers panel.
  3. You can dismiss the selection if you want (Cmd-d) and select the top one of those new created layers and do paste Edit -> Paste (Cmd-v) your previously copied selection into that one.
  4. On the second empty pixel layer below that one, you do a fill with the tool with the color you want.
  5. You can disable your original background layer.

Alternatively to a filled layer as a background, you can also make a big rectangle and color that one and use it instead as a background which covers the whole image area.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I believe that something like this should always be done non-destructively, whenever possible. You've already made a good selection of the girl. (1) Click on the Mask button at the bottom of the Layers panel. (2) Deselect (3) Add a New Fill layer, and change the color to Black (4) Drag that new fill layer to the bottom of the layer stack.

851392782_BallerinaonBlack.jpg.714f65492f0477f943642b25545646d0.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

22 hours ago, AnneB said:

Also, how do I extend the background and add a different foot to this image?

To extend the background you would use Document > Resize Canvas

Then the easiest/quickest way to repair the missing foot is to make a selection of the other foot and ankle, copy it then rotate, resize it etc to fit onto the existing missing foot, then blend it in to match as best as you can

Admittedly she now has 2 left feet but 99% of people will never notice that unless you point it out to them

OLIVIA_BALLET_IMAGES_2020-27-b.jpg

OLIVIA_BALLET_IMAGES_2020-27-b.afphoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.