You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create a macro from existing edits

Hello Affinity I would like some advice / guidance please?

I'm trying (and failing) to create a macro from existing edits, I've already edited a photo to create light beams through the trees and would like to save these edits as a preset, however when i select "Macros" if i record and select either of these layers it will say i cannot select current layer, below,  but will not allow me simply create the macro from all my existing edits.

image.png.8be5cedf0e54be692d6addf8f5ec705d.png

I really appreciate some help here, I'm not even sure if a Macro is the answer here, but is there a way to save existing edits as a preset for future use please?

Many Thanks

Daryll

You should post a Question, like this in the Affinity on Desktop Questions forum.

The pop-up gives you alternative ways of selecting your layer. In your case, use the option Select the layer one below current. This will work OK in a macro.

You may also find that you can select a layer in a macro if you name the layer first.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

13 hours ago, Daryll said:

I've already edited a photo to create light beams through the trees and would like to save these edits as a preset

You have not said how you did that

14 hours ago, Daryll said:

if i record and select either of these layers it will say i cannot select current layer,

What sort of layers are these?

A screenshot of your document showing the Layers panel (all layers expanded) may help

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks Carl,

I added a pixel layers and blur filters mostly, this was an online tutorial I found, using there image, so what I'd like to do is save these edits as a Macro to apply to my own images, I'm not even fussed about saving the image it self just the edits.

image.png.8e4606a7fca3b6d593d7b84c0134b994.png

Many Thanks in advance.

15 hours ago, John Rostron said:

You should post a Question, like this in the Affinity on Desktop Questions forum.

The pop-up gives you alternative ways of selecting your layer. In your case, use the option Select the layer one below current. This will work OK in a macro.

You may also find that you can select a layer in a macro if you name the layer first.

John

Thanks for your reply, John, I didn't realise that there were different forums, I had a couple of questions a couple of years back, which i posted here and got some really useful advise, so I simply just found my feed and added a new topic (after searching for Macro's obviously to see if my question already existed).

I took your advise and renamed my layers, and you're correct that did let save these edits to a Macro, however when i run this Macro on a new image, nothing happens so i imagine I've done something wrong?

image.png.b83e5c53d000a7eff296db9bea8da831.png

Above is what my macro look like after i've selected my edits

Regards

You seem to have 3 adjustment/filters affecting 3 different pixel layers

But this post should give you the basic idea of what you need to do

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/112531-creating-macros-from-sequence-of-adjustments/&do=findComment&comment=609291

Basically, you just "copy and paste" whatever you want to paste to a new image and record that operation in a macro

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.