You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

export text as PSD without rasterizing

Good afternoon,

I would like to share my Affinity Photo file with my commissioner, so that they can adjust the text layers.

They work with Photoshop.

I tried to export my document as a PSD-file, but the text layers become pixel layers, zo they are no longer adjustable.

Hoe can I solve this?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Yoko Heiligers

Try Exporting an EPS file. This file type is universal. Tiff formats also have layers as well as PDFs can house layer information. The PSD save might be flattening your work. Also, Photoshop is a Raster program. So no vector data will transfer.

i7 8700k, CoolerMax Air Cooled,

32g HyperX RAM 3200Hz,  ASUS ROG Strix MTHRBRD, 2070 GPU 

1.5 Tb Solid State Storage

Huion KAMVAS Pro 16 Tablet

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is the only thing holding me back now. I have been working to get my whole studio to switch, and a sister studio we work closely with.

I have pretty much made the switch with a few coworkers, but we end up having to recreate artwork in the Adobe Suite to provide open files.
Pixelmator Pro seems to be able to export with editable text (Did a test just to confirm this), so it's not impossible and I can't think that there's a licensing issue if they can do it.

• 1 month later...

Please, please, please enable this feature. I really want to switch to Affinity Photo due to a much better performance and smoothness than Ps, but most design industry is still using Ps. Current exporting to Ps do not preserve text layers is a big disappointment. So much time wasted to recreate those texts in Ps before sending to clients. I am looking forward for next updates.

49 minutes ago, Hekselsior said:

Please, please, please enable this feature.

This isn't just a switch which has to be enabled. PSD is a closed format and Adobe has surely no interest to give away the specifications except for license fees. So reverse engineering will take some time ... if possible.

Out of curiousity: Are there any programmes out there (except Adobe ones), which are able to write back editable text to a PSD?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

4 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Out of curiousity: Are there any programmes out there (except Adobe ones), which are able to write back editable text to a PSD?

PhotoPea, from what I've read, but I have no personal experience with it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

from what I've read

Correct. Opens even APhoto files if they are not too complex.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 3 months later...

This lack-of-a-feature is limiting professionals from implementing Affinity into collaborative industry workflows!

2022 and we're still waiting for this... If other software has this functionality, there's no reason Affinity shouldn't implement this.

I'm working in an agency (co-workers use Adobe) so I can't use Affinity because I can't collaborate with my team.
I feel so much more creative in Affinity, so it's a shame I can't use Serifs product in a professional setting.

Current work-around (somewhat):
Export as PSD (for all of my layers & masks), then I export again (just the text as PDF), open in Illustrator, export as PSD (from Illustrator), then open in Photoshop.
It's such a pain!

On 10/26/2021 at 7:25 AM, Joachim_L said:

This isn't just a switch which has to be enabled. PSD is a closed format and Adobe has surely no interest to give away the specifications except for license fees. So reverse engineering will take some time ... if possible.

The situation is hardly likely to have changed in the last couple of months.

1 hour ago, DylanGG said:

If other software has this functionality, there's no reason Affinity shouldn't implement this.

Apparently there is just one online app that can do this, so there are probably very good reasons that no other apps can do it! (See comment above!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 4 months later...

Any update on this, it is quite a big issue indeed. I understand it is proprietary PSD format obstacle but this will help a lot Affinity Photo to get more used in studios and offices. I can't use it for some specific tests now because text get rasterized.

Yes, i hope affinity can support this.
Even if its not pixel-perfect, as long there's option to make the text editable it would be ok for me.
Especially for UI & web design, In my opinion Affinity does much better and faster when handling lot of layers and objects compared to Photoshop.
But Doesn't matter how great and effective affinity is, the final deliverable file need to be in PSD format.

So its a dealbreaker if all text need to be redone.

Thanks

On 6/29/2022 at 1:45 AM, ikir said:

Any update on this, it is quite a big issue indeed. I understand it is proprietary PSD format obstacle but this will help a lot Affinity Photo to get more used in studios and offices. I can't use it for some specific tests now because text get rasterized.

18 hours ago, bayustudio said:

Yes, i hope affinity can support this.
Even if its not pixel-perfect, as long there's option to make the text editable it would be ok for me.
Especially for UI & web design, In my opinion Affinity does much better and faster when handling lot of layers and objects compared to Photoshop.
But Doesn't matter how great and effective affinity is, the final deliverable file need to be in PSD format.

So its a dealbreaker if all text need to be redone.

Thanks

It's not likely to change. Proprietary, (one that owns or possess exclusive rights to something). Adobe owns that file format, and does what it can to maintain it's secrecy, much like Serif owns the rights to it's Affinity files. They choose not to make their coding public. Since Adobe will not release how other apps can use their format for exporting text as text, then Serif's apps can not be expected to.

Sorry but hang around forums like this long enough and you see posts repeatedly asking when a proprietary file format of another, competitor's apps, be included. Granted Serif may be able to reverse-engineer this. However there just might be some serious legal, expensive consequences for doing so. If Adobe wanted Serif to do this, they would provide Serif with the code.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 11:11 AM, Ron P. said:

It's not likely to change. Proprietary, (one that owns or possess exclusive rights to something). Adobe owns that file format, and does what it can to maintain it's secrecy, much like Serif owns the rights to it's Affinity files. They choose not to make their coding public. Since Adobe will not release how other apps can use their format for exporting text as text, then Serif's apps can not be expected to.

Sorry but hang around forums like this long enough and you see posts repeatedly asking when a proprietary file format of another, competitor's apps, be included. Granted Serif may be able to reverse-engineer this. However there just might be some serious legal, expensive consequences for doing so. If Adobe wanted Serif to do this, they would provide Serif with the code.

Hope is free, it is much needed feature even if it is Adobe fault we know.

• 3 months later...

.TIFF format could resolve this because is open i think, but the file exported from affinity is rasterized. In adobe i use only TIFF because os N reasons. Since TIFF is universal, i think the PSD is not allowed to Affinity but i think .TIFF could be possible dont?

2 hours ago, Gigio said:

.TIFF format could resolve this because is open i think, but the file exported from affinity is rasterized. In adobe i use only TIFF because os N reasons. Since TIFF is universal, i think the PSD is not allowed to Affinity but i think .TIFF could be possible dont?

You can export TIFF files and save "Affinity Layers" in them. But that basically embeds a native Affinity file within the TIFF, and Photoshop would not understand it. It's similar to when Photoshop creates a TIFF file with layers; it basically contains a PSD file, which Affinity can mostly understand.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 10/26/2021 at 8:25 AM, Joachim_L said:

Yet, it is well documented for being a closed file format!

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/photoshop/fileformatashtml/

• 3 months later...

Moderator MUCH Necessary !

Its 2023 Feb but still affinity can't export psd and EPS as text , even I read it's very easy to export EPS with editable text , 

I know team is working on features but quality is first so we can sell in market . 

So  I'm again raising the issues that ,

EPS  with editable text , hold layers 

PS with editable text 

EPS  with editable text , hold layers 

PS with editable text 

It's 2023 , 

• 2 months later...

+1
I pretty understand about this frustration of not being able to export PSD in editable text
I work with UI which requires a lot of text, and I deliver PSD files to my clients and team members,

And it's a kind of real pain to not be able to co-work with the texts if they need to change something after me.

I hope Affinity can give an opportunity to visit this thread since the market still have PSD as standard industry format.

I assume that there have many users that still don't fully use Affinity apps because of the fear of incompatible projects workflow with others team members.