You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

export text as PSD without rasterizing

• Staff

Adobe does not publish the internal workings of their text engine.  Without this proprietary knowledge it is almost impossible for us to export editable text to PSD.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

On 5/19/2023 at 12:43 AM, Ben said:

Adobe does not publish the internal workings of their text engine.  Without this proprietary knowledge it is almost impossible for us to export editable text to PSD.

I found that Photopea can export PSD files with editable text layers, perhaps they have commercial partnership with Adobe? For now, I am exporting PDF to illustrator, and then save as PSD file to keep the text layer editable in Photoshop, which is painful, it seems Sketch use the same way to do this.

On 5/18/2023 at 6:43 PM, Ben said:

We understand that, and we know it is not easy and more time consuming that it should be, but it is sadly much needed. I suggest you to try to achieve this in any way.

I really can't think of any reason why anyone needs to be able to export fully editable PSD files, other than so that they can collaborate with other people, who use Adobe and who need to be able to edit the files themselves (rather than asking the originator of the file to make any required edits). I can understand that for this (comparatively small) group of people editable text in PSD files would be useful. However, if you are only using PSD for other people to look at, or for printing etc, there is no need for editable text.

On the other hand, the majority of Affinity users (who don't need to collaborate with Adobe users) don't really have much need of PSD. I'm sure most of those people, like myself, would rather Serif devoted it's limited resources to fixing the numerous bugs which still plague the apps, and worked on new, often long awaited, new features, rather than trying to solve an "almost impossible" problem! 

I'm not saying that I disagree with the principle of having fully editable PSD files in Affinity, simply that there are many other things, that are much more important to the majority of users, that need to be prioritised first!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

@PaulEC this is all about the industry standard, I'm using Affinity since 2018 and 100% of clients and team members still ask PSD as deliver file.

This is an obstacle that I see most professionals saying:
"I can't use Affinity because my Company workflow use Adobe"

Not having Editable text is a huge deal when you work with projects that contain text and have other team that uses Adobe, they can't simply continue the workflow.

Then you have this barrier that prevent New users to come to Affinity because they are afraid to be Isolated.

This is very reasonable, Adobe is still the company that rule the market standards, we all know that.

5 hours ago, ikir said:

We understand that, and we know it is not easy and more time consuming that it should be, but it is sadly much needed. I suggest you to try to achieve this in any way.

I think if Affinity products release Scripting API, there would be many ways to implement it. For example, by scripting to store text information and font properties as layer names when export PSD format. Then opening this PSD file in Photoshop, the text can be restored as a text layer through Photoshop's script.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I'm bringing this subject above....

I love Affinity, I usually strongly recommand it... But there, I'm very sad to go back to Photoshop just because I can't export .psd format with an editable text.

I work on a comic with an abroad publisher, that will translate the text into other languages : I can't ask the team to manually type the texts of each bubles on more than 100 pages 😅

Is it fixed now with the 2.1 version ?

😣Adobe monopoly.

• 1 month later...

I would love to have text support in PSD export but I would also like to have vectors support in PSD export from Affinity Photo too... :)

What is weird to me is that Affinity Photo can import text and vectors from PSD files but can't export them and prefer to rasterize these...