You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there, I'm new to designer and a novice at using these types of tools in general but I'm trying to learn the use of these for my work. The problem I have is that I'm trying to create first a straight line using the pen tool, even if I use shift and drag to get a straight line I still get a step in the line and can't get it completely straight. It's more noticeable when I zoom in but I don't understand why it would have this step. I'm also wondering about the best way to achieve the following: 

I'm drawing a line which angles slightly, so from the top I draw a black line down but move it to the right slightly at the end of it so it creates like a slash symbol. At the top of the line I need to make it flat rather than angled. Sorry if this is unclear but I'm struggling to upload the image to somewhere that I can get a URL. How would you recommend flattening the top of the line? I have used the pen tool to draw a horizontal flat line but I don't want the background to be white as I need to group the shape and move onto a grey background.

Thanks.

To create a straight, un-curved line segment, click but do not drag when placing a node.

There are several ways to make a line look like a slash without angled or rounded ends. One of the simplest is not obvious & sounds more complicated than it actually is:

1. Draw a vertical two node line with the Pen Tool, clicking as above so it has no curvature. Use the Shift key modifier to make sure it is perfectly vertical.
  2. Set the Cap style to Butt or Square & its stroke width to the approximate desired horizontal width for the shape.
  3. From the Layer menu, select "Expand Stroke." You should now have a curve shape with 4 sharp nodes.
  4. Switch to the Move Tool, hover the pointer just below the rotate handle sticking out above the shape until it turns into a pair of horizontal arrows & drag to the right to skew the shape.

Because it can be difficult to find the hover point that enables the Move Tool's skew feature (it is only a few pixels wide & high), you may find it easier to do this using the Transform panel instead: if you drag horizontally on the "S:" field name you can interactively set the skew angle of the shape, or enter a value like 45° directly into that field.

If the shape is too thin after it is skewed, you can drag on one of its side handles with the Move Tool to make it thicker (or thinner).

Note that this is completely non-destructive so you can change the skew angle at any time.

Slash shape.afdesign includes the history so you can use its slider to move back & forth to see what each step does.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, SamSteele said:

•Move the circle at the top of the line right or left. Release.

That won't result in the flat top I think the OP wants.

1850403657_linevsshape.jpg.cfcea95f2c2a3cd2508a6d272e7663c3.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7