Our response time is longer than usual currently. We're working to answer users as quickly as possible and thank you for your continued patience.

Why not use a macro ?

StrokeMacro.png.6b921c61bbc5905dcb194bed1a71a04f.png

This creates a new Pixel layer, opens a dialog for you to adjust width, fills with the primary colour, deselects. Sadly the dialog doesn't allow choice of Alignment 

dcStrokeSelection.afmacro

Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Intel i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 16 GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 1TB Whirlygig, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

I found a way to achieve this effect around any selection (either marquee tools or selection brush, etc). You may find it a bit of a kludge, depends on your goals. First, make your selection. Then copy the selection as a new layer (<CTRL>J in Windows, Command-J on Mac). There is a layer effect called "outline", referenced above. You can get it, with the new layer selected, by clicking on "fx" at the bottom of the layers panel, then selecting the outline effect in the dialog. You can stroke inside, outside, or centered, and control the width, color, blend mode, etc. I hope that helps a little.

I really do appreciate the few work arounds posted, but at this point it has not made PS obsolete for me.  Affinity is a really great program, but not having the very simple ability to "stroke" without having to go through multiple steps slows my work down when I have to do it those ways. 

• 1 month later...

MEB suggested 

On 2/5/2018 at 5:13 AM, MEB said:

Hi JLGF1,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To "stroke" / outline a selection in Affinity Photo go to menu Selection ▸ Outline.... You can pick the alignment you want from the Outline Selection dialog. Affinity doesn't work the same way as Photoshop here - it doesn't stroke the selection directly with the colour you want - it offsets the selection boundary to create an "outlined selection" which you can then fill with colour.

I don't see a menu item "Selection". I see "Select", but no "Outline" under it. I'm using v 1.8.0

Thanks

• Moderators

Hi @ajahn,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The menu is indeed Select (no selection). Original post fixed. Sorry for the mistake. If you are using Affinity Photo the command is indeed in the Select menu (please check again). If you are using Affinity Designer, you must switch to Pixel Persona (the icons after the traffic lights) and check under the application menu Select there.