You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm using Affinity Photo and I'd like to stroke a rectangular or circular (or any other selection) shape. I haven't figured out how to do it… I've made the selection with the rectangular marquee tool. In Photoshop, this operation is really easy but I'm stuck in AP.

Thanks for your help.

I don't think there's a way to do that in AP, but perhaps someone can correct me.  A workaround is to make your selection, from the Select menu choose Outline and you'll be able to create a selection of variable thickness that runs along the boundary of the original selection.  To stroke it, create a new pixel layer and use the flood fill tool in the selection.

It's not ideal but it's a workaround until a better way becomes available.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Another solution would be to use the rectangle (shape) tool to make the selection then adjust the fill/stroke/color in the tool options panel as desired.

Rickey, which panel are you referring to? I'm looking around the interface and menus and don't see the one you mention.

• Staff

Hi Nlbrmn,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can set the Fill and Stroke colours in the context toolbar when you have the Shape or Move Tools selected (what @Rickey called tool options panel  - right above the work area - see screeshot) or using the panels on the right of the interface (you can use either the Colour or Swatches panels).

post-59-0-63991600-1463840400_thumb.png

• Staff

No, you can only change the thickness of the selection going to menu Select ▸ Outline, then filling it with a colour as @coranda described.

There's plans to implement a command to convert a selection to a path (which you can then fill/stroke as a regular shape) but for now there's no way to stroke the selection directly.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, new user here.  I've only just started using Affinity at work here and I'm still adjusting to the changes from that other product I'm used to. Some changes are good, some just don't make sense.  To me this is one of them. 

I hope to see Stroke added to the Color panel on the right side with a future version. Not being able to do a Stroke when making a selection, when I can do a fill that way, is annoying. 

On a related note...need Shift>Delete as a hotkey for Fill please.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Open image.

Click on 'fx' (Layer effects) in bottom of Layers panel.

Click on 'Outline'.Make sure box is ticked.

Choose pixel thickness, choose color. select 'Inside'.

You will not see a stroke line if 'Outside' remains selected. Only half selected pixel thickness if 'Centre' is selected.

It does eat into image so crop appropriately.

Hope that helps

5a554f94ee8f8_Strokeworkaround.thumb.jpg.8a58b8c75a60a99d190b401495b4d42b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 6:27 PM, Owl said:

Open image.

Click on 'fx' (Layer effects) in bottom of Layers panel.

Click on 'Outline'.Make sure box is ticked.

Choose pixel thickness, choose color. select 'Inside'.

You will not see a stroke line if 'Outside' remains selected. Only half selected pixel thickness if 'Centre' is selected.

It does eat into image so crop appropriately.

Hope that helps

The above makes a box around the entire image.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP (and myself) were looking to stroke/outline the selection eg an ellipsis or rectange...ie when you are drawing a regular oval around something to draw attention to it.  This is rather straight-forward in PS/PSE.

No you can't stroke/outline an elliptic/rectangular selection in AP.

Instead you would have to use an elliptic/rectangular shape here, apply no fill (transparency as fill) and a stroke/dashline to these shapes and in order to reuse them easily later, then make two styles out of these customized shapes. - This way you later just draw an elliptic/rectangular shape and apply then the wanted style to that one.

linestyles.thumb.jpg.7abc10ab8ff22ac1c281dee71f114b1d.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi JLGF1,

To "stroke" / outline a selection in Affinity Photo go to menu Select ▸ Outline.... You can pick the alignment you want from the Outline Selection dialog. Affinity doesn't work the same way as Photoshop here - it doesn't stroke the selection directly with the colour you want - it offsets the selection boundary to create an "outlined selection" which you can then fill with colour.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/21/2016 at 10:44 AM, MEB said:

There's plans to implement a command to convert a selection to a path (which you can then fill/stroke as a regular shape) but for now there's no way to stroke the selection directly.

Can you let us know what the status of this feature is? It's usefulness cannot be understated.

• 7 months later...

It's things like the one described in the OP, which still made me keep Photoshop Elements 13 installed... i mean, seriously. This is a must have feature, to easily be able to stroke the contour of the selection. I really think that should be added to APhoto as quickly as possible. 

Edit: The Ellipse tool works perfectly though.

• 1 year later...
On 6/16/2018 at 7:57 AM, MEB said:

Hi oO5Dynasty,
It's on Designer's roadmap (Convert Pixel selection to Vector shape). At this point i don't know if this will also be ported/added to Affinity Photo.

Thank you for answering me! Sorry it took so long to reply back!

• 1 month later...

Is the plan to add the ability to stroke a selection line still in the works?  Have been using Affinity Photo for about a week now and to be honest, I don't see why this was never implemented in the first place.  For all the advances over PS that Affinity has, this one and maybe a few others prevents me from dumping PS all together.  Thanks in advance.

32 minutes ago, chaswp54 said:

Is the plan to add the ability to stroke a selection line still in the works?  Have been using Affinity Photo for about a week now and to be honest, I don't see why this was never implemented in the first place.  For all the advances over PS that Affinity has, this one and maybe a few others prevents me from dumping PS all together.  Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Affinity forums!

The public road map was removed a while ago. Do not count on anything that was in the road map ever appearing. Even if that feature is still planned, Serif will not tell you if it is planned for next week, next year or next decade.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to chime in here as well as I found this thread looking for a way to add a stroke outline to a pixel layer selection I had made. This would be very useful to me as well, and one of those basic Photoshop features I had expected to be in Affinity Photo. Like everyone else I realize that Affinity isn't Photoshop, but in this case it seems strange not to offer the basic features to "fill" and "stroke" the current selection, when clearly Affinity already has the technology in place to do it as you can get the outline selection and use the flood fill tool on selections.

To me it would seem like a good idea to simply add fill and stroke commands to let the users quickly use this functionality on the current pixel selection in a way they will likely expect it to work, instead of having to figure out (or look on forums like this) how to use multiple tools to get the same result. Converting the selection to curves on the other hand I understand would be much more complicated, and not something I would expect.

• 2 weeks later...