You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo ARW batch conversion "best" I've tested for aerial mapping

Hi Affinity devs!

I bought your software this week after testing it out a year or so ago against a$#%e pho#@$##p and illu$##%@!r and getting frustrated that they wanted a Credit Card# for me to even test raw development.

Anyway, tried out the batch for processing raws to jpegs for aerial mapping using structure-from-motion photogrammetry in comparison with a bunch of other softwares, and was surprised and impressed when quality-wise it outshone the others! By that, I mean that your raw conversion algorithms gave me the "best" images (more between-image matches), even relative to RAW. So whatever you added, it's doing great stuff. I have to strongly disagree with James Ritson (@JamesR_Affinity) that Affinity Photo "..is not suited for bulk/batch development of RAW images" - at least for our case, it is well-suited for bulk-development, especially if you can get the multithreaded workflow working on my threadripper!

Hoping this inspires you to fix the broken multithreaded batch and add scripting and give us more info on exactly what you're doing in your raw processing 🙂

Also FYI I would love the option (maybe basic/advanced?) to explicitly control JPEG DCT (ifast, integer, float) and chroma subsampling as well as compression quality (similar to GIMP) and maybe even support lossless jpeg like OpenImageIO does with q100 = lossless

more details on some of the technical specifics in a sort-of-crosspost here

20200515_IMGTEST2_summary.png