You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a corner radius limit or is this a bug?

While working on a big artboard in Designer, I have noticed that rounded corners function (Corner tool) has a limitation of 168.58mm. It is possible to input e.g. 2000mm radius, the corner radius would go to 168.58mm, while displaying 2000mm in the Radius input box. Did you noticed the same? I could not find relevant info on this online. Designer persona in Publisher behaves the same, and artboard size is not a factor.

Judging from:

• lacking error notification when entering Radius larger than possible,
  • (seemingly) arbitrarily limited size (not a rounded number of mm, feet, inches, pixels @my DPI...),
  • relatively smallish radius,
  • seeing 2000mm in the input box while dealing with 168.58mm in reality.

...this could be a bug. UX papercut for certain. My expectation is to be able to use radii at least as big as the artboard, or workspace.

I am working on the latest non-beta version, High Sierra, Mac.

Thank you!

Alex

Mac Mini M1, mac OS Ventura

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)

I think the radius displayed in the input box is px, not mm. At 300 pixels per inch, 2000 pixels is 168.58 millimetres.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred Thank you. Yes, you are right.So, I have a feeling this might be a bug. Perhaps a conversion bug. For the following reasons:

• Document units are set to mm.
  • Input box expects mm. image.png.0cd890adde6845e307bbfd3843b1cd29.png
  • Entering 100mm, as expected, results in corner radius 100mm.
  • Entering 2000mm, results in the case below (notice the value accepted in the corner radius input box).
  • Entering anything above 168.58mm (e.g. 200mm, 300mm) results in 168.58mm radius.

image.png.7ff3079fd9c583d864d603ab211f4a57.png

Alex

Affiñititos, how about a roadmap? (but with v2.1 efforts ... massive, tremendous improvement!)

7 minutes ago, Aleksandar Kovač said:

Perhaps a conversion bug.

I don’t think it’s a conversion bug as such. I think it’s just an unstated limit of 2000 pixels.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yes, sounds right. Typical. My luck. Entering the number of mm that happens to be the px limit. :)

Still, could be improved, I believe. Dear Affiñititos, could you enlarge this limit, pretty please :)? Or gently warn us, your meekish users working on large formats, when this limit is reached?

(I am aware of the workarounds, so no showstoppers here. Still...)

Alex

• 2 weeks later...