You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smart objects and mockups like in Adobe CC

Hi telemax,

this looks really awesome!!!! I cant believe this is possible to do. I wish I could acompish that too, but I am even not close to understand! I need to take a closer look at all your files and videos to try it out.

I really do appreciate all your help and all your patience taking so much time. THANK YOU!!! This is very kind of you!

Now I have problems with the mask layer😨

I start in AF Designer in order to make a symbol, then I switch to AF Photo. I kind of duplicate the layers in order to be able to make changes, like you showed me at the beginning and it works perfectly. Really thank you so much for that, that at least this 'problem' is understood even by me.

Then I continue to use the pen tool and draw around the bus ( I get a 'curve layer') and when I click on the mask its in the curve layer but nothing happens. I dont know what I am doing wrong.

I watched a bunch of tutorials, but none showed the way I need. Or I am too dumb to look for the right tutorial.

17 hours ago, Kruna said:

Then I continue to use the pen tool and draw around the bus ( I get a 'curve layer') and when I click on the mask its in the curve layer but nothing happens.

The "curves" layer behaves like a mask. There is no need to create a mask from it. Perspective_Car_2.afdesign

Each layer in Affinity can work as a mask.

Here is an example, an image with a transparent background becomes a mask: Mask.afphoto

Hi telemax,

ok, thats cool that there is no additional mask needed, we are getting closer, TY.

So I took your file 'Perspective_Car_2' and inserted the orange design in the cut layer, but it looks kind of weired. 

What did I do wrong again?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-22 um 16.22.54.png

I GOT IT!!!! Incredible, cant believe it!!! Oh my gosh, this was tough nut to crack!!!

Again endless times THANK YOU for all the help!!!!

And now the next nut is waiting to be cracked, but I will write a new post on that next week. Its about coloring objects.

First I will practice this mockup.

Regards

Kruna

• 4 weeks later...

Hi telemax,

its me again and again with some help needed, please. With your help I am pretty fit with mockups the way you showed me with symbols. Its pretty awesome and helped me a lot to save a lot of time working with this kind of mockup.

Now I face another challenge. I simply dont get the shadows, light and reflections done. I used the same (at least I tried) as you showed in the other bus sample, by copying and pasting, then trying to adjust here and there a little bit, but no way I get anything showed up! What do I do wrong? What am I missing?

Here is the example file and it would be great, if you could take a look at it and I hope it is not too much asked, if you could explain, where I do have to keep an eye on or what do I need to consider.

As always I was looking for some tutorials and googleing around, but cant find any apropriate solution.

Tahnks a lot in advanced!!

regards

kruna

just_another_bus.afphoto

The grey background in this case is the silhouette of the bus, and contains details and shadows.

ok, but (please apologize if I keep asking) the two window parts are not white as they should be.

It doesnt look as realistic as in back of the bus from the other foto (Iam still stunning!!!).

I keep trying and trying, but somehow I dont achieve it due to lack of knowledge. Also I cant find any aproach to resolve my issue. I dont know where to search for and look at.

How did you learn it? Was there any tutorial or else?

I took the layer groups 'refelctions, shadows/details and lightness from the first bus and copy/pasted them into this one. Trying to adjust to make it look realistic as it is there, but no way to get it done.

just_another_bus_2-1.jpg

4 hours ago, Kruna said:

How did you learn it? Was there any tutorial or else?

This is classic Render Elements/Passes Compositing.

For example, this is used for Product design 3d renders, or Product photography.

That's right, I fixed the Windows just_another_bus_3.afphoto

• Black and white images need, to work white colour in the design.
  • The first vector shape is needed to apply a black and white effect only for the bus silhouette.
  • The second vector form is needed for cropping the design.

vector_1-2.png.16139120cdfeac6cd8dd9a0e6ebb912e.png

just_another_bus_3.thumb.jpg.59d79b1343c07226a6aed0fdb8f3ff20.jpg

Hello telemax,

Well the second tutorial is awesome!! Unfortunately I dont have any clue how I could apply this on my bus!🤪 He explained very well what he did, but not how, at least for me as a completely beginner (also PS) I dindt understand much of it. Anyway I liked it a lot to while watching, great piece of artwork! Ty

Back to my bus, 

You can try to extract reflections from the glass, and place them above the red element.

I wouldnt know how to do that. Please excuse me for maybe asking the obvious! I feel so dumb as you provided already a bunch of explanations and examples. I should be able to handle it. So I will keep on trying untill I get it done.

Thanks again so much for all your time and help!

Wouldn’t the design be applied like this...
1730625392_ScreenShot2020-06-18at07_42_04.png.6fedfd3be2eabb7ec75fbbfc88046cbb.png

Using the correct clipping mask so no need for shadows, reflections etc.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi telemax,

here is my new bus, but it is too dark and the design is all just blasck and white, even though I used the same settings and I am sure I did something wrong.

Hi firstdefence,

ty for helping too. How does it work using a clipping mask? I tried to accomplish this way too, but of course mine looks different too.

Thank you guys!!

bus_clipping_mask.png

just_another_bus.afphoto

The file seems overly complex, but that aside, the reason for the greyscale colouring is because of the black and white adjustment filter in the reflections and shadows groups.

Is this graphic supposed to be over the glass or just on the painted body of the bus?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

In my example it is supposed to be over the glass respectively except the part which is 'cut out'. In your example it is not supposed to be over the glass, right? As the glass part is 'cut out' completely.

Sorry for the overly complex, but Iam still at the beginning and learning Affinity I dont know how to do better.🤓