You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beta 1.8.4.650 batch convert crash bug?

I was experimenting with batch converting arw to jpg on about 10 files with different parameters (with or without "convert to sRGB macro, pixel format default, rgb, cmyk, embedded sRGB profile). Anyway, I decided to output around 118 images that I'd already successfully output with sRGB macro/embedded profile, and I think rgb pixel format (maybe left at default). Importing in the same dir where I recently deleted a 10-file batch. parallel checked.

The batch job spun up and got to "saving" on the first 24 images but never made it past that. CPU hung out high for about how long it would take to save them then went to idle but the gui still says "saving". I was writing to a NVMe SSD. The drive is not full.

under task manager Affinity photo beta is  using 29GB (I have 256GB) and barely any (less than 1/2%) of CPU (712 threads). There's another process - crashpad_handler.exe at 0% cpu (6 threads). Been this way for maybe 20 minutes now as I waited, then started writing this. Nothing in event logs. From looking at the thread handles in Resource Monitor it looks like maybe it's trying to write crash info. I attached a txt file with the copy/paste of the handles from Affinity Photo and Crash Handler.

System Info:

Win 10 Pro 1909 build 18363.836, 256 GB RAM, 2x EVGA RTX 2080 Super GPU, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core (SMT off), ASRock TRX40 Creator mobo

Affinity_beta_CPU_Handle_Dump.txt

---EDIT---

As a followup, I can't even reproduce what I did to successfully output images in batch. I can do little batches now, but haven't been able to reproduce the 118 image batch - I keep hanging. Have tried all sorts of color profiles and combos of clicking JPG/macro options. have also tried DNG/ARW. Haven't reset my pc yet but that's next. Also tried to do batch in non-beta and had the same hang.

--EDIT-- rebooted and still cannot find settings that successfully generate a 118 image batch (except turning off parallel processing). The first one I did worked in parallel (accidentally left box checked to generate affinity format photos and had to delete them) but I tried that too and it didn't work.

-EDIT- I did some more tests and things work fine with parallel processing up to 20 images, break at 22. When it breaks the CPUs stop running sooner than when it works (with message saving jpeg... and spinning wheel). I have no idea why I was able to make it work for a whole run my first time, but I wish I could repeat that luck. I know I included the sRGB macro, which I don't need, and I know I ran it from the developer persona, and I know I accidentally created the affinity-format files too, and I was working on a sRGB workflow, but I've tried all the permutations of that my patience can handle, and I haven't been able to find that magic that makes me get the whole batch done with all 24 cores. Which means I'm stuck with one. Unless I can set processor affinity to 20.. maybe I can do that..

And in case you're wondering I regularly peg out all my cores (and GPU cores) on other things, so I don't have some hidden system instability.

incidentally it would be nice if the batch settings (output dir/source dir/output type checkboxes/file type options) were persistent instead of resetting to default every time. And I'd love a ctrl-shortcut for batch or at least an alt-F-something shortcut. let me know if I can help debug. also a CLI for batch like darktable-cli would be super-amazing. I'd buy you a case of beer for that ;-) Oh how I miss having beers with friends...

Edited by riveryeti

• Staff

Hey riveryeti,

I've read this post a couple of times now and thought about it and then I recalled you posted about the low CPU usage when loading the images into the batch dialog.

I discussed the threadripper with development and suggested we really need to get hold of one and see what seems to be causing you issues. 

I would be more than happy to try your process with the exact same files if you wanted to supply them? It might help us figure out if the app is having an issue with the files you're using or indeed if it is a threadripper optimization issue. 

18 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey riveryeti,

I've read this post a couple of times now and thought about it and then I recalled you posted about the low CPU usage when loading the images into the batch dialog.

I discussed the threadripper with development and suggested we really need to get hold of one and see what seems to be causing you issues. 

I would be more than happy to try your process with the exact same files if you wanted to supply them? It might help us figure out if the app is having an issue with the files you're using or indeed if it is a threadripper optimization issue. 

I sent you a PM. I uploaded the .ARW and .DNG. Also just confirmed that I have the batch bug issue with both formats.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.