You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I know this isn't a *new* request but can we please get a better shortcut for Brush Hardness?

Hello Affinity,

The  [  and  ]  keys are used to modify brush size up and down. Can you please consider adding a modifier to these keys for brush hardness?

I know we have the CMD + ALT plus left mouse button drag up / down for this, but (for some reason, this does not work properly on my computer) and is not as simple as as a basic keyboard + modifier shortcut.

THANK YOU AND PLEASE KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

12 hours ago, randomjames said:

the CMD + ALT plus left mouse button drag up / down for this, but (for some reason, this does not work properly on my computer)

With mac computer it would be CTRL + ALT + LMB up/down, and hardness CTRL + ALT + LMB left/right.

No CMD key involved.

Hallo Affinity-Team,

es ist für mich extrem schwierig fachlich auf englisch zu kommunizieren und zu verstehen. Ich hoffe, mir kann jemand auf deutsch weiterhelfen. Ich arbeite mit Mac OS X 10.10. Habe inzwischen alle drei Affinty Programme. Ich bin Illustratorin und male ausschließlich in Affinty Photo. Ich habe mein Grafiktablett mit Stift so programmiert, dass ich während des Zeichnens die Pinselgröße ändern kann, indem ich ctrl und alt gedrückt halte (ziehen nach links oder rechts verändert die Größe, nach oben oder unten die Weichheit des Pinsels). Plötzlich funktioniert das nicht mehr. Anstelle von Größe und Weichheit, ändern sich nun Form und Abstand. Das ist für mich total unwichtig, denn während des Zeichnes muss ich hundert mal häufiger die Größe ändern. Wie kann ich die Funktion wieder herstellen? Ich bin echt gerade am Verzeifeln, weil es mich so viel kostbare Zeit kostet.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:26 AM, Fixx said:

With mac computer it would be CTRL + ALT + LMB up/down, and hardness CTRL + ALT + LMB left/right.

No CMD key involved.

Hey @Fixx, thanks for your response. I should have been more clear. Yes, I can use the keyboard + mouse setting as you mentioned, but for some reason when I release the mouse, the cursor moves down to the bottom of the screen, which is incredibly annoying and makes it impossible for me to use the feature. 

In Photoshop, the same keyboard  [  and  ]  buttons are used to control the brush size, and SHIFT + [  or  ]  can quickly modify the hardness. A similar or the same key combination in Affinity's apps would be highly practical and greatly welcome.

Until I can figure out why my computer is behaving in this weird way, I am forced to use the hardness setting in the Content toolbar to control the hardness and it's very inefficient.

13 hours ago, randomjames said:

In Photoshop, the same keyboard  [  and  ]  buttons are used to control the brush size, and SHIFT + [  or  ]  can quickly modify the hardness. A similar or the same key combination in Affinity's apps would be highly practical and greatly welcome.

But those keys are not universally usable – not all layouts have them. Of course, if we have keys to access, we can also reassign them at will, Affinity preferences allow that.

12 hours ago, Fixx said:

But those keys are not universally usable – not all layouts have them. Of course, if we have keys to access, we can also reassign them at will, Affinity preferences allow that.

@Fixx I'm not sure how SHIFT + [  /  ]  aren't universally usable, could you explain that to me? It seems to me those would be at least if not more universal than CTRL + ALT + Left Mouse up / down.

And yes, *if we had* key access we could reassign them. I really wish that the Affinity team would add a keyboard binding to brush hardness!

13 hours ago, randomjames said:

I'm not sure how SHIFT + [  /  ]  aren't universally usable, could you explain that to me?

[ -glyph in my layout is ALT + 8. SHIFT + ALT + 8 just is not the same as SHIFT + [.

On 5/21/2020 at 11:15 AM, Fixx said:

[ -glyph in my layout is ALT + 8. SHIFT + ALT + 8 just is not the same as SHIFT + [.

This is interesting as in my keyboard [ comes with AltGr + 8 and ] comes with AltGr + 9.

Common keyboards US layout vs another layout dilemma.

The challenge is that all these special shortcuts should be in standard letters, not behind special characters. And brush size and its other adjustments should be possible be done easily with mouse itself that is used to use it. So ctrl+drag or ctrl+alt+drag. No [ or ] buttons or similar special characters.

I agree that a way to modify brush hardness with the mouse is good, however it should be IN ADDITION to a keyboard shortcut.

I still use Photoshop occasionally for work and it's massively convenient to adjust brush size and harness with the keyboard at the same time. 

If there were a keyboard binding to brush hardness in place, you could easily set it whatever key is most convenient to you. That is all that I'm asking for :)

On 5/27/2020 at 7:23 AM, paristo said:

Common keyboards US layout vs another layout dilemma.

The challenge is that all these special shortcuts should be in standard letters, not behind special characters. And brush size and its other adjustments should be possible be done easily with mouse itself that is used to use it. So ctrl+drag or ctrl+alt+drag. No [ or ] buttons or similar special characters.

Agreed! Otherwise, I vote for having "ö" and "ä" as shortcuts per standard, so the users of keyboards with US layout learn what we're talking about. 😉

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

• 1 year later...

Would keep this conversation up, because i am also looking for a keyboard binding for Brush hardness, opacity and flow.
A binding would also have the advantage. that you could use an external device (e.g. Contour Shuttleexpress) for adjusting the settings. Those devices dont support mouse moves.

Edited by Fire on ice
typo