You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please allow further customizing of UI – especially Brushes Palette

As I in fact like the dark UI style because it generally shifts the visual focus clearly to the artwork, I do, however, wish there would be more options than just chosing wholesale between a light or dark UI.

My main concern here is the Brushes Palette, where I'd really like to see the brushes (or brush marks) dark on a light background – even if the UI in general ist set to dark mode.
Although I do know that today many well established graphic applications/programs do it likewise (for instance Procreate on the iPad) I'm rather convinced that most users would find it a lot more natural in look and feel if the Brushes/brushtips/brush marks were displayed by default as dark on a light/white background. This corresponds jus so much more to everyday experience with natural media and thus helps a lot when deciding which one to use.

We all know that flipping dark and light in a visual medium is more than just a formal decision. Our whole culture of visual communication has so far relied mainly on leaving darker marks on a lighter background and I feel that this experience is a strong influence on our perception of what is seen as "natural" and it really shouldn't be neglected. This said I think it is actually quite problematic to just switch dark and light rather indiscriminately within an graphic interface without paying attention to details where it just doesn't make much sense.

Also there are factors directly related to physics/optics: many of us will know that for instance in well designed signage font weights are in fact altered when a sign has to be switched from dark on light to light on dark – not because it should look different but, on the contrary, to be perceived as identical in terms of balanced weight although some parameters have actually been changed.

So I'd highly appreciate an option to have Brushes displayed dark on light background in all Affinity Apps regardless of the chosen general mode of the UI.

• 7 months later...