You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo: Why do I have to rasterized pasted content?

Hi,

I often grab some screenshots and start a new canvas based on the clipboard content.

But everytime I have to rasterize the image before I can work on.
Why do I have to rasterize it? Isn't it clear that the image has to be processed anyway?
This should be default.

Jeff

Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher V2
Windows 10 Pro, 64 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12x 3.8 GHz), MSI X570 Unify
GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, NVIDIA driver version 471.41 (Studio)

2 minutes ago, JeffreyWalther said:

Isn't it clear that the image has to be processed anyway?

Processed, yes, but not necessarily at the pixel level.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Lisbon said:

Make the assistant do that for you.

I don't think that works for all actions. It certainly doesn't work if you have an Image layer want to make a pixel selection from it to copy or cut or delete.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

I'm just moving over to Photo from Adobe Photoshop, and I am prepared for things to work a little differently. But if I do "New From Clipboard", it is an annoying (and unintuitive) extra step to have to "Rasterize" the already-raster data that just came in from the clipboard. There should be a "Paste as pixels" option in the Preferences - and it should be the default - to avoid alienating every user coming from any other package. This issue wasted me hours and almost had me uninstalling my trial version.

There is the Help, F1 key, and an online help, where you'll find a lot of information in there like what the New from Clipboard does

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 1 year later...

Please, PLEASE, PlEaSe consider making this an optional setting. Going through somewhat 200 icons and non-stop have to do 'manual' labour seems so ... silly.

Please reconsider updating Affinity Photo 2 with this option.

All the best,

Jake