You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

App freezes when using Brush tool with pressure

Firstly I'm using Designer persona in Publisher but got same problem on the last try using Designer.

In 1.8.3 The brush tool is now super snappy and fast (until theres a lot of vector lines, then it starts to lag a little) and is a massive improvement from what we had a few years ago.

Last week I had a T-shirt job on which needed to be in a inked comic style, so every now and then, when I get this type of request, I'll see if I can do the whole job in Designer which usually starts with a pencil sketch which I ink over using a vector brush with pressure turned on for line width, it definitely now has more of a natural feel and starts off feeling as fluent has Clip Studio Paint or Mischief but now I can only seem to get around five minutes of use before it locks up and the only thing I can do is force quit - so had to go back to Clip Studio for the inking of that job then use Image Vectorizer to covert to vectors then paste into Designer (which has been my usual workflow for this type of job for the past 4 years) I've tried it on three pieces of artwork over the last month or so and have just had to give up and go back to my regular workflow - I just had the thought today that I needed to report it as a bug as I've searched the forum for similar issues and have only found similar reports which effect windows (I'm on Mac) so I've done a screen capture of a quick sketch just to see how far I'd get (I forgot to hit record before the first freeze so I had to force quit and go from the recovery) the grab is a bit boring and is just over 6 mins and locks up at 5:53 just thought I'd include the whole thing - seems as soon as I start to relax it locks up every time on every job i've tried - still great for just little bits of brush with pressure

Cheer's 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff

Hi Dazmondo77,

Sorry I hadn't yet responded to your post - I'd thought I had, but I must have got sidetracked! Yeah I believe this is the same issue as the one below thread you posted in. The combination of pressure, stabilizer and fast strokes is definitely what I've used to reproduce it. I will get your comments passed on to development. Thanks again :)

I just experienced this 3 times trying to do some lettering for a comic with the brush and using pressure.

I was so impressed with how smooth and snappy it is, thinking "WOW... this is way better than doing this in Illustrator"... but then Affinity Designer would quickly hang and the beach ball would keep spinning.

It happened 3 times (and I tried it on documents with different resolutions too) before I realized this is a repeatable bug and not something I am going to be able to do until this is fixed.

Glad to see I am not alone if it means it is likely to be addressed in a soon-coming update.

(Aside from this disappointment, I am LOVING Affinity Designer very much!)

LF

--------------

Mac OSX 10.11.6, El Capitan 

Edited by Lloyd Floyd

• 4 months later...

We can very easily reproduce this problem on our setup (Catalina, Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Wacom Intous Pro).

* A lot of small strokes will make the spinning ball appear and must then force quit.
* May or may not happen with pressure enabled (seems to happen with for now).

A fix would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Anyabelle

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just using the latest Pub beta 1.9.2.1014 and just thought I'd see if there's any improvement on the freeze issue ten months on.... No - still freezing after a few minutes of sketching with a vector brush - oh well back to the brilliant vector brushes in Clip studio paint and Mischief - can't believe how responsive Mischief still is even though it got killed off in 2015 - we never even got a glimpse at it's real potential, wish someone could pickup where the original developers left off 😪

Screen Grab 2021-03-23 at 16.51.01.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk