You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to Export PDF

I have posters that I cannot get to export for anything. They are senior posters and I really dont' want to post them because it has their names on it.

The problem even if everythign on the page is rasterized it still cannot export. There are 15 the document and they are 36x48". I ended up exporting them as JPG files but I had to make them .5" larger to account for the bleed. It was the only way I could get them out. Is there a way that I can find out exactly what the error is rather than the message be so generic?

The pictures used were all done as individual affinity photo files. Last year I did them and the file got into the gigs in size because I embedded the pictures and then did the masking.

• Staff

No problem exporting this file. 

However this is a afdesign file. So:

• Which app do you use?
  • What export format and what preset?
  • what macOS version?
  • what exactly "doesn't work"? Do you get an error message? What's going on?

I'm used both Designer and Publisher and I get this:

750975930_ScreenShot2020-05-15at10_26_23PM.jpg.5c68802fa8b89bbdeab1cb957f9c4c33.jpg

It seems to be related to my custom PDF settings. I went back and chose the default - Which actually causes problems because of it's lack of PDF/x4 which is very important.

I don't think I can actually send my print settings but here is the screenshot:

1135276288_ScreenShot2020-05-15at10_14_53PM.jpg.a8f34ad665472dc61bf959c9b593c669.jpg

from checking different options, it appears that it's the PDF/x4 is the option that is stopping exporting from working on my files. 

The reason I'm using the PDF/x4 is because a couple years ago when I was testing it was the only setting that would maintain color consistency in PDFs for printing. I wll test again soon to see if that issue was addressed in recent version.

• Staff

Very odd. I've found one more report of a similar issue in our system and add this to it. The only workaround I can think of now is to export as PDF-for export. It seems to be an issue with PDF-X4 for this document. 

I use logos many times in a PDF format so they cannot change. But that does not seem to matter if it fails or not. The posters that I talked about in the OP that I ended up not posting, does not have any placed PDFs only placed jpg or affinity files.

I had the same issue and discovered the problem was an errant font. When I exported to PDF (flatten), it worked, which was the clue I needed. After searching the document for the problem font, I was able to export without a problem. Still wish that I could use whatever font I want.

Edited by JH8

• Staff
30 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Was that reply to me or Dave?

That was to Dave. We don't get notified when a file gets uploaded, and always rely on people saying when they did it :) Anyways, issue logged. 

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

The problem is a curves layer that has an invalid stroke. It is the last curve in Ground floor > Walls > . If you delete this, it's all fine. However, I'm curious how you created this curve layer. I suspect it's imported (SVG/PDF)?

HI Gabe,

Thank you for the assistance! I removed that curve and all is well now. As for how I created it, I don't think I've ever imported any curves. However I'm not very adept at creating them so it's possible I did something crazy. It didn't look like it had any content to me, just looked blank. Anyhow thank you again for the help!

Dave

• Staff

Did you create that document from scratch? I'm asking because that curve is made of 2 overlapping nodes, which are very far away from the document. See the Transform Panel. If you created that document from scratch, we may have a bug here