You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nikon P1000 Raw problem

• Staff

Hey Trebolt,

It looks like you need to pick a lens from the list built into the app. See below:
image.pngYou can then add it as a favourite or from the Assistant, you can set the last used lens profile as default. The Assistant can be found at the top (little tuxedo icon). 

This is what we need to do for lenses that we do not currently have support for. We do update them with bigger updates.

Note - that is just the first one I picked from the list. There are a number of other ones that may work better. 

@Chris B

I guess @Trebolt means: why does "automatic lens correction"  seem to work with the first image but fails with the 2nd.
(esp. since both pictures are taken with the same camera..)

I assume that is just a funny coincidence:  the Picture of the car was possibly shot at a focal length where the lens does not show distortion
while the train-photo is shot at the wide-angle end of the lens, also reaching the end of lens-quality = heavy distortion?

What do you think?

Fritz

• Staff

By 'first' I thought they meant first screenshot from Photoshop's Camera RAW.

In Affinity, if it does a successful lens correction on the first image, subsequent ones should also work. Perhaps we should wait for clarification. 

Oh annoyingly I didn't spot the two raw files. I only grabbed the train. I'll try again! 

• Staff
13 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

while the train-photo is shot at the wide-angle end of the lens, also reaching the end of lens-quality = heavy distortion?

Yes I think this might be the case. It seems unfair to compare two images using completely different focal lengths. 

15 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Yes I think this might be the case. It seems unfair to compare two images using completely different focal lengths. 

True, but in this case it might be the explanation why one uncorrected image looks ok
while another, also uncorrected image is distorted.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:41 AM, Fritz_H said:

@Chris B

I guess @Trebolt means: why does "automatic lens correction"  seem to work with the first image but fails with the 2nd.
(esp. since both pictures are taken with the same camera..)

I assume that is just a funny coincidence:  the Picture of the car was possibly shot at a focal length where the lens does not show distortion

What do you think?

Fritz

about focal length -> True
after reading yours posts I realized that the problem lies in affinity. More precisely, unlike Camera RAW, there is no dedicated lens correction for nikon P1000. The car foto was made at a much longer focal length and that's why this distortion is not so visible as the train foto so I did not notice it. The use of some predefined correction also misses the goal because it is not accurate, at the moment only manually improve relative to the base image in jpg and then do color / light correction. I checked the older photos and i saw the problem is also there too. I have a camera about3-4 weeks, I am still learning it.

Thanks for the answer
Patrick