You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

8 minutes ago, Juan T said:

How do you make text transparent so the background will show through using Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo, and Affinity Publisher?   

Easiest way

2027210114_ScreenShot2020-05-13at10_35_06AM.png.cf6de22556c2f8dd582bf600497ad626.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Easiest way

That erases the background and so isn't shine through in the sense of "that the background will show through". - Instead I would more suggest to set no contour and an outline so it's obviews that there is some text on top.

no_contour.jpg.4ba92c6e1891eead72c33c88870de5ed.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Correct. I had missed that part. Your suggestion above is than the better way to do it.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

19 hours ago, thomaso said:

But Compound doesn't work with an image, right?
Compound seems to convert/reduce an image to its shape only, around the punched out text.

This should work, but something sometimes goes wrong with the fill of the Compound:

1. Select the Image object
  2. press cmd+return for Convert To Curves
  3. make the Compound.

Workaround:

1. Select the Image object
  2. press cmd+return for Convert To Curves
  3. press cmd+c for Copy (so we have the raster fill of the rectangular Curve)
  4. make the Compound
  5. press shift+cmd+v for Paste Style so the raster fill is applied to the Compound
Edited by anon2
added "sometimes"

18 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Thanks, a nice workaround. It first appeared as if the reason for failure of the first method would be related to using an image scaled up and having a placed ppi value bigger than that of the document dpi but no, it happens anyway.

The non-workaround procedure I posted can work,  but it depends on the image file used by the Image object but only if the raster fill of the Curve object has no transformation.

I think I've an explanation, but don't have time to write it up now. I'll be back much later today.

Edited by anon2

The explanation seems to be quite straightforward.

The Compound should be initialised with its fill being copied from the fill of the Curve object that was created from the Image object, but there is a failure to copy the transformation matrix of the Curve's fill.

Doing the Paste Style does successfully paste the fill transformation matrix to the Compound.

I'll post a bug report.

There seems to be some more oddity: I have put the image in the Compound layer (> curves > paste style) which also was placed inside the compound set.

Then I replaced the image inside the compound with another. Now when I move this new image (which I understand to be a mask only) then the image in the compound layer occurs quite strange: it enlarges the area according to my layer moves but the image content looks like stretched edge pixels.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

There seems to be some more oddity: I have put the image in the Compound layer (> curves > paste style) which also was placed inside the compound set.

Then I replaced the image inside the compound with another. Now when I move this new image (which I understand to be a mask only) then the image in the compound layer occurs quite strange: it enlarges the area according to my layer moves but the image content looks like stretched edge pixels.

The stretched pixels effect is correct if the Compound's raster fill has Extend mode 'Repeat'.