You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

Context: I use Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo, but I also use Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop at work. Generally, I don't need to export files to other formats (example: from .afdesign to .psd or .eps) but sometimes I need, and I have problems with it.

Question: Is it possible to export .afdesign to .psd, .eps, .tiff, .pdf files and to preserve editability (layers) of those files when I open them with Photoshop or Illustrator,?.. 

Problem: I tried to export a file form .afdesign to other formats. Illustrator opened them as .jpeg's even if I saved them as .eps or .pdf. I want to save an coloured vector file .afdesign from multiple layers to an other file format, and to be able to edit that file (.eps, .pdf) in Illustrator. Is it possible? Do someone know which are the best practices for this particular case?..

Thank you! :)

• Staff

Hi kreativenord,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Depending on the features/tools you used in Affinity some things may not translate well to other formats.

This is mostly because we either haven't implemented them in our export code or because the format you want to export to doesn't support some of Affinity features.

Common items that are currently rasterised are: Layer Effects, Blends modes (varies depending on the export format selected), conical gradients fill/transparency, colours with noise etc. We are continuously improving our import/export code, so some of those issues will get fixed as we move forward. 

Without seeing the file is hard to guess what's going on. If you attach it here we may be able to advise you better.

Thank you Meb for your quick answer,

I discovered that when I check the box "rasterise unsupported effects", while exporting to .pdf and .eps, the file is exported like pixel graphics. I succeed to export an working .pdf and .eps file. I unchecked the box "rasterise unsupported effects", and I opened those files using illustrator. It's interesting because only the layers set to visible were exported for both files (.pdf and .eps). Exported layers were vector based and fully functional.