You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Whether affinity photo supports cropping of imported pictures? 

你好,我想了解affinity photo是否支持导入图片的裁剪?

我发现当我导入几张照片并且打算做成拼接的排版的时候,我的裁剪工具似乎只能裁切整个画布的大小尺寸。我想达到的操作是:当我导入许多张照片进入affinity photo时,我可以自由地,方便地裁切被导入的照片。

谢谢

Hello, I want to know whether affinity photo supports cropping of imported pictures? 
I found that when I import a few photos and plan to make a stitched layout, my crop tool seems to only cut the size of the entire canvas.The operation I want to achieve is: when I import many photos into the affinity photo, I can freely and conveniently crop the imported photos.

THANKS

Edited by Zhang Drorin

Crop tool works only the whole document as AP is meant to be a photo editor (as opposed to Designer and Publisher where each object can be cropped individually).

You can though mask each image layer in composite quite easily by drawing a marquee around the image area you want to keep and clicking Mask Layer icon in the Layers palette.

In addition to masking, as mentioned above, you can also crop images by putting them inside shape/curve layers, see attached image where a copy of the Image Layer has been cropped (technically I think it's called 'clipped' in this instance) by a Rectangle Layer.

Annotation 2020-05-13 095149.png

20 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Crop tool works only the whole document as AP is meant to be a photo editor (as opposed to Designer and Publisher where each object can be cropped individually).

You can though mask each image layer in composite quite easily by drawing a marquee around the image area you want to keep and clicking Mask Layer icon in the Layers palette.

Thanks very much!stay safe 

31 minutes ago, Fixx said:

I SEE :D thank you very much and stay safe :)   

Edited by Zhang Drorin

27 minutes ago, GarryP said:

In addition to masking, as mentioned above, you can also crop images by putting them inside shape/curve layers, see attached image where a copy of the Image Layer has been cropped (technically I think it's called 'clipped' in this instance) by a Rectangle Layer.

Annotation 2020-05-13 095149.png

ohhhhhhhhh That 's a good way to achieve my operation!! thanks very much and stay safe :) 😛 

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

a copy of the Image Layer has been cropped (technically I think it's called 'clipped' in this instance)

That’s correct, Garry. If it were cropped/masked you would see a ‘Crop’ icon on the thumbnail in the Layers panel, unlike clipping/nesting where you don’t. (There’s also a difference in the amount of indentation of the thumbnail, but it’s quite subtle.)

When the cropping or clipping object is entirely enclosed by the image there is no visual difference, but if the two objects are merely overlapping you can see that a clipping object remains visible where it doesn’t overlap but a cropping object completely disappears.

2F6A2FB9-10F2-484E-8FEA-EE6975FD14BB.jpeg.0b5218a4c0239450af97f384239d5d92.jpeg

B53AF8A0-ABF2-40AA-B2DA-781556D9BCEF.jpeg.f32981981d2109040ddfbfdc8321be7f.jpegACEB6B4F-C8B0-4646-9903-5305E08A375C.jpeg.e61fdf57459de4aae493b0e879af8a40.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

That’s correct, Garry. If it were cropped/masked you would see a ‘Crop’ icon on the thumbnail in the Layers panel, unlike clipping/nesting where you don’t. (There’s also a difference in the amount of indentation of the thumbnail, but it’s quite subtle.)

When the cropping or clipping object is entirely enclosed by the image there is no visual difference, but if the two objects are merely overlapping you can see that a clipping object remains visible where it doesn’t overlap but a cropping object completely disappears.

2F6A2FB9-10F2-484E-8FEA-EE6975FD14BB.jpeg.0b5218a4c0239450af97f384239d5d92.jpeg

B53AF8A0-ABF2-40AA-B2DA-781556D9BCEF.jpeg.f32981981d2109040ddfbfdc8321be7f.jpegACEB6B4F-C8B0-4646-9903-5305E08A375C.jpeg.e61fdf57459de4aae493b0e879af8a40.jpeg

Is that the meaning of the words "clip"and"crop"  are different? Wow now I get it :) thanks!(I never imagine even I can learn English from here XD)