You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag and drop web photos onto Affinity Photo window

This is something I used to do a lot on Photoshop (which I've now deleted, thanks to Affinity Photo! ;)).

1. Browse the web and find some image.

2. Click and drag the image on the webpage onto Affinity Photo's main window.

3. Expected result: The image is opened as a new document, that's how Photoshop handles it. But what Affinity Photo does: It creates a new Text layer in the current document and puts the web URL of the image in it (lol).

It *is* possible to open images if I instead drop the web image onto the Affinity Photo *icon* in the dock. But that's annoying when you've got an auto-hiding dock (like I do) and it just seems *weird* to have it create a text-layer when you drop an image onto the main window.

I guess the reason it creates a text-layer is that the application takes dropped *text* and creates a text layer, or dropped *image files* and loads the image, but lacks specialized "dropped image URL" detection and reverts to the text-handling.

PS: When I drop the image onto the app icon (which is the current workaround), I see that Safari (or Affinity Photo?) creates a file under ~/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems. When I close the image in Affinity Photo, the temporary file remains. Not sure that's correct handling either. Shouldn't you delete the temporary file if the user closes it?

• 6 months later...