You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I’m iPad 6th owner and use both - Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. It’s really good experience so I love it.

But sometimes when I switching to other applications (like Safari or Procreate) use them for long time than returning to my work in progress on Affinity Photo (or Designer) its opening main screen of application without my work. I enabled auto save for editing but looks like it does not work.

Sounds like iOS is simply reallocating ram. Remember IPad has only limited amount of ram and opening and using other apps draws on that limited amount. Eventually something has to give. Always save using the Save menus,  or else your work is only stored in Affinity sandbox and not accessible outside Affinity app. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

3 hours ago, dsjfdskfjlkdsf said:

don’t have save menu. It will be much calmer to have one.

Yeah, iOS can be a little confusing with apps. The Save menu appears in two places in Affinity apps.
On the Project screen (where all your Projects appear as icons), there is a ‘hamburger' menu icon (three horizontal bars). Tap that and you will see a Save option. Files appearing here are a bit like having tabs open on Desktop. Not very secure as you can’t move or back them up. When you close them they are gone forever.
If  you tap the Hamburger menu/Save, Affinity will create a .afphoto or .afdesign file in your default save location. This may be either iCloud or the Affinity folder in the On My iPad area of Files app depending on your Settings. Unlike a tab, this is an actual file that can be copied and moved. Now when you tap the Project icon and open into workscreen, you will find a Save option has appeared in the Document menu. Tapping Save now updates the .afxxx file in the default file location.

The second method is a little more complicated to set up, but is my preferred workflow as it doesn’t limit you to the default save location. On the workscreen where you edit your files there is a Document menu. In the Document menu is an option to Save a Copy. This creates an .afdesign or .afphoto file in a similar manner as the hamburger menu. The difference is that when you tap the Save (after naming your file), you have the ability to select a drive or folder anywhere. Cloud drives, Networked drives, USB sticks, whatever you can connect to in Files app you can use as your storage location. 
Keeping in mind that the Project screen is like a tab, after using Save a Copy, you need to close the workscreen. This returns you to the project screen. Locate your project and tap hamburger menu, then tap Close. This closes the 'tab' (sandbox copy). Now use the Open from Cloud icon,, navigate to the file you saved and select it. When it opens, you will find that the Document menu now has a Save option.  When you tap Save it will update the file in its original location. You can backup/copy/move the file now whenever you like.

One other point. Always remember that the Affinity folders residing at On My IPad location are deleted (including file content) if you delete the app. For this reason I use Documents by Readdle or Files to create an alternative Save folder on my iPad and use that to save my work to.

Sorry for the lengthy post but there’s a fair bit to cover. 😀

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

22 hours ago, DM1 said:

Yeah, iOS can be a little confusing with apps. The Save menu appears in two places in Affinity apps.
On the Project screen (where all your Projects appear as icons), there is a ‘hamburger' menu icon (three horizontal bars). Tap that and you will see a Save option. Files appearing here are a bit like having tabs open on Desktop. Not very secure as you can’t move or back them up. When you close them they are gone forever.
If  you tap the Hamburger menu/Save, Affinity will create a .afphoto or .afdesign file in your default save location. This may be either iCloud or the Affinity folder in the On My iPad area of Files app depending on your Settings. Unlike a tab, this is an actual file that can be copied and moved. Now when you tap the Project icon and open into workscreen, you will find a Save option has appeared in the Document menu. Tapping Save now updates the .afxxx file in the default file location.

The second method is a little more complicated to set up, but is my preferred workflow as it doesn’t limit you to the default save location. On the workscreen where you edit your files there is a Document menu. In the Document menu is an option to Save a Copy. This creates an .afdesign or .afphoto file in a similar manner as the hamburger menu. The difference is that when you tap the Save (after naming your file), you have the ability to select a drive or folder anywhere. Cloud drives, Networked drives, USB sticks, whatever you can connect to in Files app you can use as your storage location. 
Keeping in mind that the Project screen is like a tab, after using Save a Copy, you need to close the workscreen. This returns you to the project screen. Locate your project and tap hamburger menu, then tap Close. This closes the 'tab' (sandbox copy). Now use the Open from Cloud icon,, navigate to the file you saved and select it. When it opens, you will find that the Document menu now has a Save option.  When you tap Save it will update the file in its original location. You can backup/copy/move the file now whenever you like.

One other point. Always remember that the Affinity folders residing at On My IPad location are deleted (including file content) if you delete the app. For this reason I use Documents by Readdle or Files to create an alternative Save folder on my iPad and use that to save my work to.

Sorry for the lengthy post but there’s a fair bit to cover. 😀

Very useful information. So, if I decided to save a file (not Save As) in the project screen, does this mean that the resulting version that appears in “On My iPad” is now the only version of this file, effectively moving it out of AP’s inaccessible sandbox?

50 minutes ago, disjecta said:

So, if I decided to save a file (not Save As) in the project screen,

Not sure what you mean by Save as, I don’t think I have seen that option in Affinity apps.

If you use Save from the Project screen you will create a 'file' in the default storage folder. Affinity will retain a 'working' version in its sandbox which is used by the app to make edits to. These edits are stored only in sandbox (autosave or back arrow to Project screen appears to update sandbox) BUT you need to tap Save (either in Document menu while editing) or tap Save in Hamburger menu when you return to the Project screen to update the actual file. 

You can test this easily:

Create a new file. Draw a rectangle. No colour fill, just a black border line. 
Return to project screen. You’ll see an icon of your project with an empty rectangle.  
Now tap hamburger menu and tap Save.  
Open your Files app, navigate to Affinity’s default save folder. You can see an untitled.afdesign file with icon showing an empty rectangle. (Even if you close the file in the app, deleting it from sandbox, you will still have the actual file in your Affinity folder where you can open it again).
Go back to Designer, open the rectangle file from Project screen and while in workscreen, fill the rectangle with colour eg. Red. 
Return to Project screen and now your file icon shows a rectangle with red fill. 
Open Files app and navigate to the Affinity folder. Your files icon still shows an empty rectangle. (So far the file edits have only been stored in sandbox). 
Go back to Designer, tap the files hamburger menu and tap Save. 
Open Files app and navigate to Affinity folder. Note that now your file icon shows a rectangle with red fill. Your edits are now saved to your actual file and not just in sandbox. 
You can use the Save option in the workscreen Document menu too. It will do the same thing.

So don’t rely on auto save and also don’t forget to use the Save option in Hamburger or Document menu.🙂

39 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Not sure what you mean by Save as, I don’t think I have seen that option in Affinity apps.

If you use Save from the Project screen you will create a 'file' in the default storage folder. Affinity will retain a 'working' version in its sandbox which is used by the app to make edits to. These edits are stored only in sandbox (autosave or back arrow to Project screen appears to update sandbox) BUT you need to tap Save (either in Document menu while editing) or tap Save in Hamburger menu when you return to the Project screen to update the actual file. 

You can test this easily:

Create a new file. Draw a rectangle. No colour fill, just a black border line. 
Return to project screen. You’ll see an icon of your project with an empty rectangle.  
Now tap hamburger menu and tap Save.  
Open your Files app, navigate to Affinity’s default save folder. You can see an untitled.afdesign file with icon showing an empty rectangle. (Even if you close the file in the app, deleting it from sandbox, you will still have the actual file in your Affinity folder where you can open it again).
Go back to Designer, open the rectangle file from Project screen and while in workscreen, fill the rectangle with colour eg. Red. 
Return to Project screen and now your file icon shows a rectangle with red fill. 
Open Files app and navigate to the Affinity folder. Your files icon still shows an empty rectangle. (So far the file edits have only been stored in sandbox). 
Go back to Designer, tap the files hamburger menu and tap Save. 
Open Files app and navigate to Affinity folder. Note that now your file icon shows a rectangle with red fill. Your edits are now saved to your actual file and not just in sandbox. 
You can use the Save option in the workscreen Document menu too. It will do the same thing.

So don’t rely on auto save and also don’t forget to use the Save option in Hamburger or Document menu.🙂

That makes perfect sense. Thank your for taking the time to explain it. I originally meant “Save a Copy”, not “Save as” but it’s irrelevant now.