You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Files Not Opening On Mac Due to Preferences

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have finally solved the issue with (once again) a fresh, clean install of Catalina (after reformatting the disk) and installed nothing but Affinity Photo.

Ran the app, and all seemed to work OK, so continued to load all of the other apps I had installed previously, one by one, testing Affinity Photo after each loaded.  That seems to have worked, and I have not had a permissions issue since.

The response from Serif was not particularly helpful:

You could try the suggestions in this FAQ article, if you haven't already as it's something we have come across before. Permissions issues are very hard for us to reproduce, as it would let us to break down the process and hopefully narrow down the cause. It's still something we are looking into and if it occurs our developers can see if anything can be done.

We wouldn't be able to transfer your purchase from the Mac App Store to our Affinity store to allow a download of a version not sandboxed, it's just not possible.

Another 12 hours of my life that I will not get back, and 12 hours of work that I did not get paid for, BUT, I can now use the app without further issues, at the moment.  I do not know if the fonts had caused the issue, but I will report if I have further problems.  Perhaps, if AP work without issue for the next 6 months, I can finally bin Photoshop.

Thanks again, have a great day.

OK, so after my work dried up a bit I decided to take the bull by the horns:

1. Reformatted Macintosh HD
  2. Downloaded Catalina and Updated
  3. Did not use Backup so install is clean and complete
  4. Downloaded Affinity Photo & Tested - Working OK
  5. Downloaded Apps I use - each time testing Affinity Photo works - all OK
  6. I have not loaded any further fonts - all at Mac default state
  7. Total 12 hours work, including waiting for each app to download, test that app, test AP

For a week, Affinity Photo worked OK, then today the same damn permissions issues recurred.

I am going to give up on this app.  I am spending more time trying to fix, than working on images.

Back to Photoshop...

• Staff

Thanks for replying. The issue isn't related to valid fonts but is down to sandboxing restrictions. If you're still interested in finding out what's causing the issue, you could check out the Console app when you next get this issue to see what could be causing the issue. See the FAQ in your prev post for more info.

Hi Leigh,

I had completed this previously, and should have responded and thanked you for the suggestion.  Apologies.

Although I would consider myself quite familiar with the Mac, I have not had recourse to the Console previously, and I admit to being at a bit of a loss as to where / what I should be looking for.

I did the whole Console, searched (in all the various categories / headings) for Affinity: Sandbox: Font - found no issues with fonts, but got the attached report, which would seem to point to another issue.  

Earlio

Console Affiinty Photo.pdf

• Staff

Thanks for replying and supplying the Console log. From what you've sent it's definitely sandbox related but it would be great if you could get the full log. If you have some spare time, you could try the following:

1. Make sure Affinity Photo is closed
  2. Open the Console app by pressing CMD + Spacebar and type Console and then press Enter
  3. When Console is open, make sure that your device is selected under the Devices section in the left hand menu - it should be the default selection
  4. Now open Affinity Photo, try and open an image so the error appears 
  5. Go back into the Console app and in the search box in the top right hand corner, enter Affinity Photo and make sure Process is selected:

Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 11.09.02.png

Console will now only show Affinity Photo related information. Go to Edit > Select All to select everything and then Edit > Copy and paste into Textedit.

Hi Leigh,

Thank you for the response.

I now have the Console up and running, and I am awaiting an open or save failure, it is intermittent, and will report when the issue occurs again.

I appreciate the help, as I really (REALLY) would like to end my connection with Adobe.

:):27_sunglasses:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks Earlio. The log file does point to a sandbox issue but it doesn't seem related to fonts - your log file has no mention of fonts 🤔

I can see that you've already tried giving the app(s) access to Files and Folders in Preferences > Security & Privacy. What happens if you give the app Full Disk Access?

Hi Leigh,

Thank you for the reply and the work you have put in with the log file.

I had given access to Full Disk Access previously, but along the line, with several reloads of AP, and two complete clean installs of Catalina, I had forgotten to do so with the latest install iteration.

I have done so now, completed a restart, and will report if this helps.  I have been avoiding using AP due to the issues, except in a few cases, and had taken to immediately saving any file loaded to AP (after RAW conversion), and setting up the Autosave to every 30 seconds, to try to get around the permissions issues.  It works, after a fashion (when the issue raises it head, I have to do a Force Quit and pick up the recovery file) but that is obviously not an ideal fix...

I will try again with AP as my primary editing app, and keep you informed.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Earlio said:

Hi Leigh,

Thank you for the reply and the work you have put in with the log file.

I had given access to Full Disk Access previously, but along the line, with several reloads of AP, and two complete clean installs of Catalina, I had forgotten to do so with the latest install iteration.

I have done so now, completed a restart, and will report if this helps.  I have been avoiding using AP due to the issues, except in a few cases, and had taken to immediately saving any file loaded to AP (after RAW conversion), and setting up the Autosave to every 30 seconds, to try to get around the permissions issues.  It works, after a fashion (when the issue raises it head, I have to do a Force Quit and pick up the recovery file) but that is obviously not an ideal fix...

I will try again with AP as my primary editing app, and keep you informed.

No worries and I understand how frustrating this issue must be - keep me updated as I would like to figure out what's causing the issue 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Leigh,

I am delighted to report that I have not had an issue with Affinity Photo and File Preferences since giving Full Disk Access.  Thank you, I am now again using Affinity Photo as my Photo Editor of choice.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.  The journey has been long and arduous, but have now finally reached the destination.

Earlio

• Staff
On 7/11/2020 at 11:43 AM, Earlio said:

Hi Leigh,

I am delighted to report that I have not had an issue with Affinity Photo and File Preferences since giving Full Disk Access.  Thank you, I am now again using Affinity Photo as my Photo Editor of choice.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.  The journey has been long and arduous, but have now finally reached the destination.

Earlio

That's great! Thanks for the update 👍