You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move the context toolbar to the top instead of bottom

13 hours ago, Enashka said:

My hand often goes over the context toolbar while I drawing, changing things by accident. How to place the context toolbar somewhere else. On top for example?

Unfortunately users can’t relocate menus on iPad.
If you double tap the icon in top right of screen it will also hide Context menu (single tap hides tool/persona/studio menus). Maybe that helps? 🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

It doesn't help, cause it it doesn't hide the context toolbar. It's absurd that the developers didn't think that the bottom of the screen is the worst place to have this menu.Drawing necessarily involves resting the wrist on that location. It's as if no-one actually tried the app before its release.

47 minutes ago, Enashka said:

It doesn't help, cause it it doesn't hide the context toolbar.

Did you double tap as suggested?

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Yes I really need to move this context tool bar as well. I want to constrain and sketch a line but holding the constrain button in the bottom of the ipad screen whilst trying to draw with an apple pencil is really difficult and awkward. I'd really like the constrain button on a toolbar in the bottom left of the screen rather than bottom middle where my wrist is.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Has anyone found a solution to this "Context Toolbar in Worst Possible Place" problem? As someone else mentioned, hiding the UI doesn't help because it reappears as soon as your skin touches the screen. If you turn off "Automatically Hide UI" then the rest of the UI doesn't appear, but the context toolbar appears as soon as the pencil touches the screen. You need the context toolbar to change parameters, so fair enough.

The only solution is to allow the user to position the context toolbar at the top. The current situation is simply infuriating!

• 1 month later...

Hi Affinity, 

I would like to add that this is not a small interface issue - it is a big one and a very valid one which has been raised since 2020. Please could you respond to this thread this is a real over site on Ipad as it is the natural interface of being able to use this software in conjunction with the Ipad and apple pen to try to get very close to digital version of a natural sketching technique.

Issues like this really hinder the experience to the extent that I would start to change my drawing style to suit a better interface like procreate.

Aswell please interact with these forums that you have set up. I see so many ignored posts its quite disheartening.