You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't own Affinity Photo, and I assume the photo editing tools in Publisher are for people like me who want to edit pictures all in one program. There is a button marked 'Edit Image' which leads me to the tools. From then on I'm stuck, as there's no Help article on 'Edit Image', and when I do edit the image it's not clear how to get my alterations into the original image which stays the same. If I close and Save the edited image, that seems to work, but is that what I'm meant to do? It seems a bit drastic to have to close the image corrections in order to get them onto the original image. 

Maybe the answer is obvious, but it would help to have a Help article on 'Edit Image'.

Thanks for the brilliant tutorial videos.

Can't answer your questions but can give you some clarification on the Apps. Publisher is for page layout. Setting up books, magazines, etc. Designer is for working with vector files, company logos, things like that. Lastly Photo is for editing pictures. So if you are just wanting to edit pictures I would suggest you look at Affinity Photo. Publisher may have some tools for editing but it is not a replacement for Photos. 

They match up to their Adobe counterparts - Publisher = Indesign    Designer = Illustrator   Photos=Photoshop

1 hour ago, David Thistlethwaite said:

I assume the photo editing tools in Publisher are for people like me who want to edit pictures all in one program.

There are no specific photo editing tools in Publisher. If you do not also own Photo, then Publisher will not enable the Photo Persona. You can click on Edit Image, if you have a Linked image file, and it will open in a new editing tab within Publisher, but without the Photo Persona you will not have any Filters or brushes. You will be able to apply adjustments or apply layer effects, but that's about it.

If you really want to do photo editing you should have Photo. You might also want to have Publisher. (With the current sale, I would recommend purchasing all 3: Photo, Designer, and Publisher.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

54 minutes ago, David Thistlethwaite said:

Thanks for the advice. I'm nearer getting the rest of the suite. However, I simply wanted to know how to save the edited adjustments in 'Edit Image' so that they show up on the photo in the document.

If you have Edit Image available, then your Publisher document contains a Linked (not Embedded) image file (TIFF, JPG, PNG). When you click Edit Image a new editing tab will open in Publisher, and you can make your changes. To Save your changes, you use FIle > Save or Ctrl+S. That will save the changes to the original Linked image file, replacing the original. You can then close that editing tab.

If you don't want to replace the original Linked image file, you could use File > Export to save it under a different name.

If you used Save, then when Publisher detects that the Linked image has changed, and give you a popup offering to invoke the Resource Manager. If you have your Preferences set to automatically update Linked images it will automatically update the local view of the changed image. If not, you can use the Resource Manager to perform the update.

Or, if you used Export, you can use Replace Image to replace the original image file in your document with the renamed one.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome. And it's not really that complicated, once you have some experience with the Affinity Suite.

-- Walt
PC: