You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash when using Refine Tool

I'm using AP version 1.8.3.641.  My computer is running Windows 10 Home 10.0.18363 Build 1863.  The computer has an Intel I7-7700 CPU with 16gB RAM.  I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with v 44587 driver.  I also have a Wacom Intuos PTS with driver v6.3.38-2.  The display is a Dell UP2516D with the appropriate display manager installed.

I am currently working my way through the Grilled Cheese Pull exercise in the AP Workbook.  When I select the sandwich and try to refine the edges of the sandwich, the system sometimes crashes (hangs) and the mouse is inoperable. This effect seems to be random.  Pressing any of the buttons or menu items with the mouse does not work.  However, I can save the work if I use Ctrl-S.  If I go to Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del, Affinity shows 2 programs are running; Affinity itself and crashpad_handler.exe.  If I terminate Affinity and restart it, I can open the saved document and continue working on it.   Annoying but not disastrous.

Please help.

Sparafucile.

Further investigation of this problem showed that it only occurred when I was editing using the Wacom pen but not when I was using the mouse.  I disabled Windows Ink in the preferences dialogue and the problem seems to have disappeared.

Hope that helps any others who have encountered the same problem.

Cheers,

Spara

• 2 months later...
On 5/11/2020 at 5:39 AM, Sparafucile said:

If I go to Task Manager using Ctrl-Alt-Del, Affinity shows 2 programs are running; Affinity itself and crashpad_handler.exe.

I am having an issue with this showing in Task manager. I only went there because the program splash and window started to strobe after I installed the update 1.8.4.693

Is there a solution for this? Windows 10 Dell laptop 8GB ram blah blah..

Hello SirDragonDrop,

As I said in my original post, the problem only occurred when I used my Wacom tablet and Windows Ink was enabled.  Disabling Windows Ink cured the problem and I have had no re-occurence of the problem.  However, I have not checked whether crashpad_handler.exe is running in the background.  If this program lives up to its description, it shouldn't be.

Not sure if this helps but if you are using Windows Ink it might be worthwhile disabling it from the control panel withing AP

Cheers,

Spara.