You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've imported an IDML file and for whatever reason the two page spread (2x 8.5"x11") has been imported as a single landscape page (17"x11") with text frame, page numbers etc on each half of the landscape page. . 

Does anyone know of any sensible way to get from here to two page spreads?

I've tried editing my master page, but so far I've got one of the following each time

1. both frames shrunk to half width on a page and text transformed to half width (!)
  2. page changes, but both frames still exist, so text is off each side of the page

I'm open to any suggestions!

5 hours ago, Alex White said:

I've imported an IDML file and for whatever reason the two page spread (2x 8.5"x11") has been imported as a single landscape page (17"x11") with text frame, page numbers etc on each half of the landscape page. . 

Does anyone know of any sensible way to get from here to two page spreads?

I've tried editing my master page, but so far I've got one of the following each time

1. both frames shrunk to half width on a page and text transformed to half width (!)
  2. page changes, but both frames still exist, so text is off each side of the page

I'm open to any suggestions!

I had the very same problem back in April, and posted a comment about it.  Unfortunately I never got a response.  Not only that, but the original document exported as an IDML was set up using pica measurements, but the imported IDML was turned into points.  Nothing could be done.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I just made a test on my own and import was doing fine. Could you both share the IDML here? @jmwellborn Did turning pica to point had a negative impact on the document or was everything OK except for the unit? In some cases I had first change dpi to 72dpi and the unit and then changing back to 300dpi.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

5 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

I just made a test on my own and import was doing fine. Could you both share the IDML here? @jmwellborn Did turning pica to point had a negative impact on the document or was everything OK except for the unit? In some cases I had first change dpi to 72dpi and the unit and then changing back to 300dpi.

Thank you so much for trying to help.   After several days without a response, and much struggling and fiddling, I gave up and simply typed the entire 65-page document all over again in Publisher.   When finished, I trashed the old file.

I have so far not had that problem with any other IDML import.   The only recurring issue seems to be an inability for text wrap settings to import correctly.   I am currently rewrapping all illustrations for a 360-page book.  This involves comparing a PDF of the InDesign-produced book with the new Publisher version, to correct the many extremely large vertical gaps that magically appear on import between image and text.  I think the problem actually comes from the original InDesign file, which had linked images but not linked captions.   (Always hated InDesign.)

Publisher to the rescue!!!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9